Camera's Blue Iris stream "grey"ing out

Marshal

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

Just some quick background information. We run two different types of cameras; some old axis 205's and 4 new POE GW security 2040s we bought from a guy who runs a security camera system. He offered to install the camera specific software for recording and streaming but we wanted it all integrated into blue iris so we could view all at once.

On to the problem.
Sporadically, the new cameras' streams will lose connection and just show a grey screen. They require a manual restart in order to get them streaming again. However, by using a web browser and viewing the ip address directly the camera streams fine the entire time.
I have not seen a pattern relating to when or which cameras grey out. Sometimes its within 30 minutes on the same camera, and other times all the cameras will work fine for a day. The old axis cameras have never shown a signal loss.

We have looked through the settings but I haven't seen any blatant mistakes I might have made. We tried googling the problem for frequent disconnects and used the feature to increase network buffer to 10mbps but that didn't really seem to help.

Any advice or aid would be greatly appreciated :). Pretty much stumped at this point.

I can post screenshots of the camera settings or any other information as needed.

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello,

Just some quick background information. We run two different types of cameras; some old axis 205's and 4 new POE GW security 2040s we bought from a guy who runs a security camera system. He offered to install the camera specific software for recording and streaming but we wanted it all integrated into blue iris so we could view all at once.

On to the problem.
Sporadically, the new cameras' streams will lose connection and just show a grey screen. They require a manual restart in order to get them streaming again. However, by using a web browser and viewing the ip address directly the camera streams fine the entire time.
I have not seen a pattern relating to when or which cameras grey out. Sometimes its within 30 minutes on the same camera, and other times all the cameras will work fine for a day. The old axis cameras have never shown a signal loss.

We have looked through the settings but I haven't seen any blatant mistakes I might have made. We tried googling the problem for frequent disconnects and used the feature to increase network buffer to 10mbps but that didn't really seem to help.

Any advice or aid would be greatly appreciated :). Pretty much stumped at this point.

I can post screenshots of the camera settings or any other information as needed.

Thanks
Increase the receive buffer to the max 20mb. camera properties>video>configure
Match the cameras iframe interval to the fps.
The web interface may be using a different protocol (which is common) and therefore you dont see the issue. Best way to test is to stream via vlc and see if it happens there as well.
If it does not you can email blue iris support.
It can also simply be an issue with the camera, GW is not a great brand.

Marshal

n3wb
Reaction score
Increase the receive buffer to the max 20mb. camera properties>video>configure
Match the cameras iframe interval to the fps.
The web interface may be using a different protocol (which is common) and therefore you dont see the issue. Best way to test is to stream via vlc and see if it happens there as well.
If it does not you can email blue iris support.
It can also simply be an issue with the camera, GW is not a great brand.
Thanks for the quick reply.
I'll go ahead and try all of these and wait a few days to see how it goes.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply.
I'll go ahead and try all of these and wait a few days to see how it goes.
Something else you might try is to disable the RTSP keepalive and RTSP timecode options.

Is your entire data path from cameras to Blue Iris using normal, wired ethernet? Wifi or powerline adapters often under-perform and could cause packet loss which leads to video corruption and pauses and such.