cameras for hikvision DS-7608NI-E2

Reaction score
hi people,

i registered on the site because i need your expertise.
Iv never even thought about IP cams, not familiar with the topic, but i urgently need to setup a multiple camera system for a client.

now, i "inherited" the hikvision DS-7608NI-E2 NVR, this i have. i also have some switches lying around (im a mid-level IT professional). Internet will connected by provider somewhere next week. thats all covered. i also have a bunch of convertors that swicth power & network to PoE

What i dont have a single clue about, is: focus, angle, ONVIF quality level (does HiKvision communicate with all cameras?), etc etc

target:
1. 4 wired IP HD 2MP cameras - can the DS-7608NI-E2 handle that?
2. 1 continuously recording outdoor camera
3. 1 camera, targeted at inner door, which has motion alert, and send email on alert + start recording at the minor movement
4. 2 camera upstairs which also record continously

can all this be set in the interface???

whcih camera do you recommend, price obviously a factor, willing to import from china
i hope there is some cheap but good asian brand that can deliver indoor quality cam at around 50$ mark?

thank in advance for all your remark

St.

PS NVR upgrade is out of the question

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The only camera you will get for 50 dollars that is ok is the hikvision cube rebranded by annke, see the thread...if you think you can by a reliable outdoor camera with good image for 50, you are mistaken....how much is your time worth?

Reaction score
the outdoor camera can have a bigger price tag, 50$ was just a number to add direction.
thank you for reaction

so, you say annke is brand which is 100% compatible with HIKvision but cheaper?
any thoughts on the NVR, as in, will it be possible to customize camera settings (motion alert) through this?

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
DS-7608 denotes that the unit can handle 8 cameras/channels

ALL cameras can be set to continuous recording with motions detection, but be aware that the 'setting' for motion detection is not an accurate science and many factors can influence the triggers, and if you set it to send an email, then you may get bombarded with too many..

Do a youtube search in ip camera focal lengths etc and one on hikvision, many good explanations that are easier to comprehend rathe than the textual offerings here.

Reaction score
thank you silas for suggestions. about the 8 cameras, i had read, but apparently, i you use full HD (2MP) it can only support 4 inputs...
at some later point on future, i want to add something that supports speech (so i can talk through camera remotely) but its not an urgent or necessary behaviour, i could use those 4 remaining ports then :)

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Not sure where you read that, but I am sure it is wrong, only today I worked on a 7608 with 6 units of 3 & 4 mp and no issues. and they were running full res with high bit rates etc.