Cameras that dont need NPAPI support

ArunC

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi

We purchase a number of cameras in our company for projects. We have been purchasing Hikvision cameras up to now. Im just looking at specifying the camera for our next project.

Most major browsers have now removed NPAPI support and the Hiklvision cameras have required that support in the past in order to operate in a web browser - so in the past I have had to resort to advising our customers which precise browser to use for their cameras - which is a rapidly dwingling list.

This is far from ideal and we shouldnt need to have to do that. I'mm trying to get an update as to whether this problem has been solved yet, howvere judging from the dates of some forum posts I suspect it hasnt. In the meantime I am now considering alternate brands that dont required NPAPI support to be able to view them in a web browser.

Has anyone got any suggested alternatives that are of similar quality and price to Hikvision?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Dahua cameras on recent firmware work with a chrome extension called NACL Web Plug-in

However if you ask me this is worse than asking customers to install Pale Moon browser, because that extension has to be launched as a distinct sub-application of Chrome, and it is not a universal fix for all cameras, only Dahuas on recent firmware. Pale Moon still works with most cameras (though some of course actually require internet explorer).

ArunC

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks bp2008, so all other suppliers, as far as you know, continue to use an outdated technology? Are you aware of any others that are actively seeking a new solution?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
No, I'm not aware of any. Ubiquiti tries to work without plugins using the latest web technologies, but their cameras are overpriced and their proprietary NVR software is what does the streaming.

ArunC

n3wb
Reaction score
OK thanks, ive emailed a number of IP cam suppliers to ask their position on it, I'll feed back the responses....