Can a patch panel be used.

mjj4golf

n3wb
Reaction score
We are trying t'o clean up a rats nest and installed a patch panel. Ten out of 16 cameras work and the others work intermittently which is driving me crazy. So my question is, is that patch panel a potential problem?
mjj4golf

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Can it be used? Yes, I have installed several and am using two in my own personal installation now. Can it be a potential problem? Yes, if it isn't punched down properly.

elliottwe

n3wb
Reaction score
A bad port is a remote possibility.

Try repunching the six that are giving problems. Are you using a punch-down tool and solid cable?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Not punched down properly or wired incorrectly could cause problems with the patch panel. Look at the back of the panel and compare the wiring between a working and non working port.

mjj4golf

n3wb
Reaction score
The patch panel is basically couplers and coupling the rj-45 together.

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The patch panel is basically couplers and coupling the rj-45 together.
This is the style I have.

Get yourself a cable tester, they're cheap devices ($10 - 20). Test your known good cables and then check your suspect points. If it is the point all you have to do is re-terminate. You may have the wires wired differently at each end, hence a problem.

srvfan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So it is ok to use a patch panel blank and keystone pinch down couplers? The reason I ask is my network space is extremely small; so much so that I will have to get an enclosure and flip it onto the side. With this limited room, I’m thinking it will be easier to work on keystone couplers rather than trying to access the back of the panel.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
So it is ok to use a patch panel blank and keystone pinch down couplers? The reason I ask is my network space is extremely small; so much so that I will have to get an enclosure and flip it onto the side. With this limited room, I’m thinking it will be easier to work on keystone couplers rather than trying to access the back of the panel.
Yes, it's fine. Most all big networks use multiple patch panels of some sort. There are trade-offs to keystones vs punch-downs. The former probably easier for most with a smaller network and not much space to work. For larger with good access I'd rather work with punch-down blocks. Much faster/easier when you have a lot. Either will work just fine assuming properly terminated.

Reaction score
My IT closet is in a bedroom closet. It is narrow and so when I decided to trade the multiple switches screwed to the wall and cables everywhere, I went with an 8U rack that is only 12" deep.

DSC_4929.JPG DSC_4761.JPG

There are three switches installed and two 24 port patch panels. The patch panels have keystone jacks. This makes termination easy.

DSC_4756.JPG

ptzman

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
We are trying t'o clean up a rats nest and installed a patch panel. Ten out of 16 cameras work and the others work intermittently which is driving me crazy. So my question is, is that patch panel a potential problem?
mjj4golf
Instead of using a regular patch panel, why not use a Ditek DTK-RM12POE panel. It will provide the same function as a patch panel as well as surge protection for both cameras and other devices (NVR, computer, etc.) within the same space. Any additional panel and wiring will add another level for troubleshooting if something goes wrong

ptzman

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Probably since the Ditek model you posted cost about $400 and a regular patch panel about $24.
I get brand new sealed Ditek POE surge panels from Ebay for less than $50 shipped. I think the added surge protection for my equipment is worth it. The first time I was hit by surge/ lightning it took out two of my devices. The next two times I was hit , I powered my equipment off and back on with no damages.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I used to install large networks and we always used patch panels for a specific reason. We never knew which jacks on the floors would actually be connected to the switches until the client moved in. In a home surveillance system setting where you have X number of cameras that will always be connected to a switch, a patch panel is just another potential point of failure. What is the difference between dressing the cables neatly to the back of a patch panel then installing jumpers between the patch panel and switch(es) versus neatly dressing them to the front of a switch?

Labeling each cable clearly and with a label that will stay attached is the more important, at least to me. I use a P-Touch labeler with 1/4" tape and then put a wrap of clear tape over that to make sure. Each label has the camera name on it.

Works for me, but YMMV.

Last edited: