Can access camera from my cell service but not WiFi

tofare

n3wb
Reaction score
Here is my situation. I have a camera setup at a location (lets call it House 2) and can not access it using a web browser from my (home). The camera is at (House 2), not on the WiFi I am trying to access from (Home). Additionally, I CAN access the camera using my Iphone over my cell service Verizon. But if I use the Iphone and turn on my WiFi service at (Home) I can not access the camera at (House 2).

More clues:
I can access the camera at (House 2) from my work network using the same laptop as I use at (home).
I have a camera at (home) that I have no problem accessing from my laptop browser on any WiFi or over IPhone cell service.
I have optimum online as a provider. I have tried accessing the camera at (House 2) using my laptop directly cabled to my router (no wireless).
The provider at (House 2) is ComCast.
I am using port 8888 and the port is open, I know that because I can access the camera over cell service or from work network.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
sounds like your HOME firewall is blocking you from access.. try plugging your laptop directly into the internet with no router?

tofare

n3wb
Reaction score
I have tried accessing the camera at (House 2) using my laptop directly cabled to my router (no wireless). I have a combo cable modem/router.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
its not your router @ house2, its your HOME router... take that out of the loop and try again.

tofare

n3wb
Reaction score
I have cabled directly from my laptop at my home to the modem/router. I am unable to access the camera at House 2.

Also, I am able to access a camera at my home using the internet IP: port. So the firewall allows me to do that but not at house 2.
and remember I can access house 2 camera from work network... this is driving me nuts for over a month now. :sad2:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
try:
ping <ip address and/or hostname>

no :port on a ping, and you open a cmd window by Start -> Run -> cmd <enter>

you got something all messed up.. when going from inside to outside your network you will need to reconfigure your client for local/remote ip's unless you use a VPN.

There is a feature that you must have on your router called NAT Loopback, without this feature you cannot access your local services with an external host/IP.. so you might see different behavior because you have different routers.

Personally I would do a point to point VPN bridge between your two houses at the routers, so they are all on same network with no ports forwarded or special configuration... then your mobile apps do a client to server VPN into your main network, which will give it access to everything.. Your cam software will be configured for internal local IP's and the network will do the rest, regardless where you are.

Last edited by a moderator:

tofare

n3wb
Reaction score
I was able to ping the camera from my home, it sent and returned 4 packets. I am unable to access the same camera via a browser using the address and port. AGAIN, the camera is at another location, not a loop back issue. I can access it from my Iphone if I use cell service, so the port is open. I can access the camera via browser from my work network, so the port is open. I have also plugged directly into my cable modem, bypassing the wireless router, no luck. I suspect it is a problem with my service, optimum, maybe they are blocking. Is there a camera ip I can test with, so I can confirm its not the camera but my home network? Ugh!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Try configuring it to listen on port 80 at House 2. Maybe your ISP at Home is blocking outgoing communication on non-standard ports. Though that would be very odd since lots of stuff uses non-standard ports.

Maybe try a higher port like 56789 too. For all I know Comcast blocks incoming port 80 :)

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What camera system are you using? Can you try using the software designed for it? Is the same laptop that can't see it in house 1, the same laptop your using at work?