Can BI be run on a QNAP NAS?

kdsteele

n3wb
Reaction score
I see BI recommends a dual core 2.0 Pentium as minimum and an i7 if you have many HD cameras. I noticed QNAP sells NAS boxes that can run virtual machines. They offer a TS-253 Pro with a Celeron 2Ghz quad core processor and 8 Gig of ram. Has anyone tried to install Windows on the VM portion of the NAS and run BI with a 4 - 6 camera setup? I'm thinking the Celeron would struggle since it has to operate the NAS as well. Anyone tried this?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I see BI recommends a dual core 2.0 Pentium as minimum and an i7 if you have many HD cameras. I noticed QNAP sells NAS boxes that can run virtual machines. They offer a TS-253 Pro with a Celeron 2Ghz quad core processor and 8 Gig of ram. Has anyone tried to install Windows on the VM portion of the NAS and run BI with a 4 - 6 camera setup? I'm thinking the Celeron would struggle since it has to operate the NAS as well. Anyone tried this?
Welcome to the forum. You will not be successful. You can buy an i5-haswell machine with 3 year warranty for 300, why mess with this?

kdsteele

n3wb
Reaction score
Good point. I looked at Dell and HP outlet and didn't see any i5s that cheap at the moment, but did find this on eBay:

HP Elite 8100 i7 2.8Ghz 8GB ram 320GB HD Q57 Express chipset $249 shipped
HP Elite 8200 i7 3.4Ghz 8GB ram 1TB HD Q67 Express chipset $319 shipped

My preference would be to put a large surveillance drive in the same HP for recording the video footage or use the built-in RAID utility and mirror two large surveillance drives to support the OS and video footage. (maybe different partitions)

HP only lists both boxes supporting up to 1TB drive. (Probably because that's all they offered and tested at the time.) Some research revealed the HP 8200 model supports UEFI which may provide some advantages to using larger surveillance type drives. Is it ok to use the BI box to record video footage or should I be looking at an external NAS? I'm trying to keep hardware costs ~ $1000 and I still need PoE switch and 6 ~ $100 cameras.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Good point. I looked at Dell and HP outlet and didn't see any i5s that cheap at the moment, but did find this on eBay:

HP Elite 8100 i7 2.8Ghz 8GB ram 320GB HD Q57 Express chipset $249 shipped
HP Elite 8200 i7 3.4Ghz 8GB ram 1TB HD Q67 Express chipset $319 shipped

My preference would be to put a large surveillance drive in the same HP for recording the video footage or use the built-in RAID utility and mirror two large surveillance drives to support the OS and video footage. (maybe different partitions)

HP only lists both boxes supporting up to 1TB drive. (Probably because that's all they offered and tested at the time.) Some research revealed the HP 8200 model supports UEFI which may provide some advantages to using larger surveillance type drives. Is it ok to use the BI box to record video footage or should I be looking at an external NAS? I'm trying to keep hardware costs ~ $1000 and I still need PoE switch and 6 ~ $100 cameras.
You are looking at old systems. Those are WAY overpriced.They 8100 will not even support hardware acceleration in blue iris and is a first gen processor that runs hot and is not efficient. Do not buy them.. Search ebay for hp elitedesks. You can find the small form factor with a HASWELL i5 for about 300. I buy them all the time. Most have over two years of next business day warranties remaining. If you want to add a large drive get the small form factor or tower NOT the ultra slim desktop USDT.
Use the BI box for storage. You can actually record to both if you wish.

kdsteele

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for your help. I'm seeing lots of USDT models, but SFF offerings seem sparse. I read your post on the new hardware acceleration feature , so I would like to choose a processor that could take advantage of that as well. Would you mind posting a link to an example EliteDesk so I can make sure I'm looking at the correct models?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for your help. I'm seeing lots of USDT models, but SFF offerings seem sparse. I read your post on the new hardware acceleration feature , so I would like to choose a processor that could take advantage of that as well. Would you mind posting a link to an example EliteDesk so I can make sure I'm looking at the correct models?
Check with this seller. http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-EliteDesk-800-G1-Small-Form-Factor-PC-i5-4570-3-2GHz-8GB-500GB-HDD-Desktop-/111867266603?hash=item1a0bcf062b:g:ftwAAOSwjVVVoJYj
its listed as 4570 but when i purchased mine it was a 4590..get the serial and look up the hp warranty, it will show the processor. Either one will work fine and supported hardware acceleration. Much better deal than the old units you were looking at

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.