Can Blue Iris ingest VNC video streams?

thegpx

n3wb
Reaction score
I use Blue Iris at a location where multiple security cameras are monitored. We also want to monitor the screen of a computer which shows a lot of status information about local processes. In other locations, I simply use a HDMI to USB adapter to convert the computer's HDMI output to a video feed which Blue Iris can ingest.
However, in this case the PC we want to view is in a separate area from the Blue Iris server, thus preventing running a HDMI cable. We do have network connectivity between the two computers, so if Blue Iris can ingest a VNC video feed, that would work perfectly as I could enable "view-only" mode in VNC Server on the other computer.

If anyone knows how to do this, or if there is a BI plugin or driver that would support VNC video streams, I would be grateful for any info.

Thanks and best regards.

Edcfish

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I would look at using VLC (free) or Desk Camera (paid) or a similar application.

thegpx

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. To clarify, do you mean using VLC/Desk Camera to stream the desktop directly to BI, or using those apps to convert the VNC stream into something that BI understands?

I would look at using VLC (free) or Desk Camera (paid) or a similar application.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Would not using the PC's browser browser to view BI's built-in web server ("UI3") over the network not work for you?

The BI user can be configured to view only specific cameras and/or groups, not view clips, not make changes, see full screen, etc.

Never mind. I knew I shouldn't have skipped the 3rd grade (reading comprehension). :facepalm:

Last edited:

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Other way around.... OP is looking to capture some type of RTSP-like feed from a computer screen (or video out) into BI

thegpx

n3wb
Reaction score
You are correct: I want to capture the screen (desktop) of a PC and add this as a "camera" in BI, so I can see this PC's screen along with the other cameras in BI and UI3.

It looks like VLC can capture and stream the desktop, so I'm trying that now, but so far not getting a valid stream. Have tried RTSP and UDP so far.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
I would probably run OBS on the target PC w/ the OBS RTSP Server plugin - then you can configure BI to read from the RTSP feed
Hmmm... OBS looks interesting. Like I need another distraction to consume my time:)

thegpx

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm familiar with OBS - we use it in multiple locations to broadcast video. Hadn't thought about using it for Desktop capture however. Looking for something that can be automatically started (i.e. command line) when PC starts up since the location is unattended most of the time.

kjinxx2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I just did a quick google and it looks like there are a few solutions to automatically start OBS and begin broadcast on startup, but I'm not too sure or familiar with that.