Can Blue Iris software populate from saved server footage?

Reaction score
I've got cameras set up to record to a server. I am looking at getting Blue Iris (or an NVR alternative software) on my PC for the better interface. Right now I just use VLC to view everything but I've got to open cameras one at a time in VLC and then go through the windows saved files to review the camera footage. My question is, can I install BI on my PC (not on my server) and point it to the network file locations and have that populate the historical footage? I DON'T want BI running all the time, I just want to open the program and be able to drag around and review the footage (from my pc, a different computer than where the cam footage is saved). Is that possible or do I have to install it on my server and run it from there, having things save in the software instead of using things over the network? Let me know if that question is too confusing and needs to be clarified. Thanks.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I've got cameras set up to record to a server. I am looking at getting Blue Iris (or an NVR alternative software) on my PC for the better interface. Right now I just use VLC to view everything but I've got to open cameras one at a time in VLC and then go through the windows saved files to review the camera footage. My question is, can I install BI on my PC (not on my server) and point it to the network file locations and have that populate the historical footage? I DON'T want BI running all the time, I just want to open the program and be able to drag around and review the footage (from my pc, a different computer than where the cam footage is saved). Is that possible or do I have to install it on my server and run it from there, having things save in the software instead of using things over the network? Let me know if that question is too confusing and needs to be clarified. Thanks.
Though Blue Iris can be used to play standard MP4 files (by dragging them onto the running program window), it offers very little value that way. You're better off with something else if you don't want to run Blue Iris as the center of your recording setup.

Reaction score
Though Blue Iris can be used to play standard MP4 files (by dragging them onto the running program window), it offers very little value that way. You're better off with something else if you don't want to run Blue Iris as the center of your recording setup.
Ok, great. What would you suggest? I want the interface of an NVR where you can drag around and review the footage, but don't need to actually buy an NVR (since my server is much more powerful anyway). Right now I have to manually click each 5 minute file and then open the next and the next and the next. It's a pain. What software would put all this together for me that's better than BI? I'm not married to BI, I don't care what it is, just something that works better than the clunky interface I've got. Thanks.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you recording 24/7? Five minutes seems really short for a video file. I'd suggest recording 24/7 with the files set to one hour duration and a max size of 4GB. Very easy to review footage that way.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The advantage of running Bi IS running it 24/7, so you get the abilities it offers, motion detection, alerts, etc. You want to post process the video footage, which is not reasonable. BI is not setup to do it. Even if it were, you would have to open each file, let BI review it, then repeat. Why do you not want to run BI 24/7?

If your server is so powerful, why not run BI on there? Or, as most here do, buy a used, eBay PC for $200-$500, and run Bi on there.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, great. What would you suggest? I want the interface of an NVR where you can drag around and review the footage, but don't need to actually buy an NVR (since my server is much more powerful anyway). Right now I have to manually click each 5 minute file and then open the next and the next and the next. It's a pain. What software would put all this together for me that's better than BI? I'm not married to BI, I don't care what it is, just something that works better than the clunky interface I've got. Thanks.
I really have no idea. But I agree it sounds painful the way you do it now. Longer video files would help, but there's a disadvantage to doing that with MP4s. You can't play an MP4 file until it is finalized. And if a critical error occurs during the recording, the MP4 won't be finalized and you have to run recovery software on the file to make it playable!

Running Blue Iris (or any VMS software really) as a service 24/7 is the way to go. I don't think anyone builds a VMS product that is only meant to review footage and not do any actual recording.