Can Dahua do this?

Avareh

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am asking this since I have no idea about what Dahua can (or not), and I am being something told which I hardly can digest hence need your help/advice.

At home I use a few camera's (all less familiar Chinese brands) with and without audio, with different resolutions, some are starlight, ... I use 2 different way of storing video's: I have an old desktop with a few 2 TB disks which are used to save continuously all video's of all my IP camera's. I use a generic and simple VMS which is configured to store video's for maximum length of 5 minutes, so daily I get about 24x12=288 small video's for each cam which I can watch in VLC or Windows Media Player. On another laptop I run Milestone which stores video's of all camera's only triggered by motion. All motion-triggered video's are stored (like on old desktop) for a period of one month on the SSD disk of my laptop.

The above setup I have been using for a few years without any problems!

Now I want to use a likewise setup somewhere else with a few differences: I want for indoor usage have 7 or 8 Dahua varifoclal starlight IP camera's (in combination with a POE switch) and continuously save all video footages to a network share or preferably a NAS device. In same network segment I wanna have a laptop which hosts Milestone for building up a database of video footages (of all camera's) only triggered by motion.

I have been told by someone that Dahua/Hikvision are not meant for such setup, both brands are not suitable for saving video's to network share or NAS and at the same time catch video's with Milestone. I really was lost when I heard that hence I am asking here those who use Dahua if this is true. I also wonder if anyone uses the setup I had in mind with Dahua IP camera's and Milestone!

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Why do you want to record continuously to one device, and record motion clips on another? You use Blue Iris to record continuously, and upon motion it flags an alert in the timeline. You click on the alert and it brings up the video from that time to review.

Otherwise, to do what you are asking, I think you need cameras with multiple streams. The Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z Starlight has multiple streams.

Avareh

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I want to record the streams directly to storage without interfering of any application, using the camera's recording native format. For continuous recording I don't want any application like BI so it uses applicattion's encoding but anyway this is a completely different discussion.

By multiple stream do you mean main and sub-stream? I honestly can not relate that with being able to store video's on an external storage.

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
In Dahua's cameras web interface, there is a storage tab where you can specify a destination as local/NAS/FTP as well as schedule and recording settings. I think this is maybe what you are looking for, but not sure.

Avareh

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That is not an option since I use a retention period of 30 days, btw: the main question was if it's true Dahua IP camera's can not directly use a network share or NAS as storage media.

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That is not an option since I use a retention period of 30 days, btw: the main question was if it's true Dahua IP camera's can not directly use a network share or NAS as storage media.
With new firmware the cams could ssh instead of ftp, might be interesting to upload via scp. Didn’t tried this yet, cuz my cams are all in a subnet where they can’t talk outside the NVR.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I have done it through smart PSS PC NVR no issues.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
All of my Dahua cameras show the ability to record to NAS, but I’ve never tried it.

Screen Shot 2019-01-26 at 4.04.58 PM.png

Last edited:

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I want to record the streams directly to storage without interfering of any application, using the camera's recording native format.
Also FWIW, most folks that use Blue Iris use the "Direct to disc" feature, which records the streams directly to storage, using the cameras native format.