Can hikivision cams record directly to a NAS drive?

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Right now I am using a self sufficient cams which are the Sharx and it works great but pricey since the company is USA based. So I am thinking about switching all the Hikvision brand.

The Sharx camera have onboard scandisk cards to save recording and I set it to only record when there is a motion detect so I am not really wanting a PC with "Blue Iris" or a NVR however to save cost I want to get the hikvision that does not have onboard memory card.

I have a WD Cloud which is a NAS drive that I use for save all my TV recording from a capture card and I am wondering if the Hikvision can be set to save recording directly to the NAS drive when a motion is detected?

I am thinking of getting 5 or 6 cams and I wasn't sure if NAS is capable of handling all the writes coming come the camera if all the motions was trigger at the same time somehow (doubt that ever happen but never know)

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Bill

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, you can add a NAS using NTP or SMB/CIFS, and store recordings there. Hikvision cameras also have FTP capability, though I don't know if you can record to FTP the way you can record to NAS.

TD22057

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, but there is a limit to the size (bug in the hikvision firmware). The SMB share must be less than ~250 MB (or maybe 300? I forget) or it won't work. On my linux box, I created a user for each camera and set the diskquota for that user to be the size I would allow and it works fine. I had a WD cloud drive a long time ago and I don't remember whether or not you can set limits on the share sizes (you would need 1 for each camera). If you can, then it will work. If you can't, I don't think it will work.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, but there is a limit to the size (bug in the hikvision firmware). The SMB share must be less than ~250 MB (or maybe 300? I forget) or it won't work. On my linux box, I created a user for each camera and set the diskquota for that user to be the size I would allow and it works fine. I had a WD cloud drive a long time ago and I don't remember whether or not you can set limits on the share sizes (you would need 1 for each camera). If you can, then it will work. If you can't, I don't think it will work.
Hikvision uses SMB to send files on NAS? What about NFS? (Network File System) same bug issue? How long have that been an issue? If it been around awhile then it kind of tell me that Hikvision is not taking their product bugs too seriously or back their product up.

Bill

TD22057

n3wb
Reaction score
No idea. I just bought my first camera a month ago so I don't have much history. You can use NFS as well but I prefer SMB because it has user and password authentication and NFS does not. I'm not sure if there are any size limitations w/ NFS since I haven't tried it.

There are a few libraries on github for extracting the data from the NAS as well. When I get some time I'm going to try to use one of those to extra video and images from the NAS folder to post to my own web site or create small animated gif's for myself when there is motion.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Note that the hikvisions with sd card are not similarly priced to those without..like the 2132F...

id5

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Later Hik firmware can record to either SMB or NFS but it can only send images via FTP or email. There is a bug where the share presented to the camera must be less than 250GB or the camera cannot initialise the files it needs correctly.

I currently have 5 Hik's recording to a 4 disk QNAP and it could take a lot more with ease.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Later Hik firmware can record to either SMB or NFS but it can only send images via FTP or email. There is a bug where the share presented to the camera must be less than 250GB or the camera cannot initialise the files it needs correctly.

I currently have 5 Hik's recording to a 4 disk QNAP and it could take a lot more with ease.
Thank you for your feedback ...

Right now I am looking at Hikvision cameras models so many choices to choose from.

I am thinking I should stick with bullet type and I am trying to find a model with onboard storage that not huge in size.

I noticed the Hikvision cube model have a special motion detect sensor that reduces the number of fault triggers, is there a bullet model with this feature?

I looked at some dome but noticed folks having IR bleed issue with it and many of the models require it to be mounted horizontally which would need a bracelet if you wanted to mount it on a wall. Is there a PRO to dome that I should consider getting it instead?

One other issue I am having with my current cameras is that when NAS is offline (No longer available), it would not fall back to the onboard storage to save recording if it cannot find NAS. Is Hikvision the same?

Bill

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The dome with the F designation 2132F- is three axis and can be wall mounted with no mount...the only pros to the dome is that it is more vandal resistant, available with sd card, and alarm inout, audio in out 2132F-IS...otherwise the 2332 turret is a much better choice...the bullet is easier to knock out of place- the turret has better IR and looks better...

id5

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
fenderman is right with his summary and choices of camera type.

I know of no bottom end camera the can record to SD on NAS failure but you can write to SD and run a script on the NAS to pull video and images. There are examples of the scripts on the web and somewhere on this site but you will have to search for them, I think that Networkcameracritic had some on his site. But what are you trying to protect from as the NAS is most likely going to go down less and last longer than your cameras are.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
fenderman is right with his summary and choices of camera type.

I know of no bottom end camera the can record to SD on NAS failure but you can write to SD and run a script on the NAS to pull video and images. There are examples of the scripts on the web and somewhere on this site but you will have to search for them, I think that Networkcameracritic had some on his site. But what are you trying to protect from as the NAS is most likely going to go down less and last longer than your cameras are.
You made several good points and I agree with you so I guess I will not worry about getting cameras with onboard storage. First I will have to see if I can split up the storage on WB Cloud to 250 MB (right?) or otherwise I will have to invest in another NAS drive which I don't really want to right now.

Look like it come down to either choosing the 2132F or the 2332 turret. Most likely I will be going with the turrets around the house and one dome inside the porch since I think that appearance would look more cleaner with a dome in porch than a turret sticking out at someone face when they are ringing the door bell.

Bill

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
The dome with the F designation 2132F- is three axis and can be wall mounted with no mount...the only pros to the dome is that it is more vandal resistant, available with sd card, and alarm inout, audio in out 2132F-IS...otherwise the 2332 turret is a much better choice...the bullet is easier to knock out of place- the turret has better IR and looks better...
The 2332 turret is horizontal mounted only? Or can it be mounted on wall?

Bill

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The 2332 turret is horizontal mounted only? Or can it be mounted on wall?

Bill
any turret by definition is three axis because the ball rotates on all three axis...so you can wall mount it.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
any turret by definition is three axis because the ball rotates on all three axis...so you can wall mount it.
Cool ... One last question

Do you know if there space in the turret housing for Ethernet connections and mount the turret directly to the wall or I need to use a junction box for the connections?

Bill

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Cool ... One last question

Do you know if there space in the turret housing for Ethernet connections and mount the turret directly to the wall or I need to use a junction box for the connections?

Bill
I always use a box...while there is some room it would limit the ball movement and could pinch the cable while you adjust...
See 1:15 in this video..

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
If the turret was mounted on wall vertically. The image origination will shift upright or is there a setting to fix the image origination in the menu?

Bill

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If the turret was mounted on wall vertically. The image origination will shift upright or is there a setting to fix the image origination in the menu?

Bill
You can rotate the ball any way you want..you shouldnt need to rotate the image...the hikvision cameras allow rotation of the image but you dont need it with this camera.

id5

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You made several good points and I agree with you so I guess I will not worry about getting cameras with onboard storage. First I will have to see if I can split up the storage on WB Cloud to 250 MB (right?) or otherwise I will have to invest in another NAS drive which I don't really want to right now.
You can easily see if a NAS will support a Hik without the cam, with a share less than 250GB with quotas turned on if needed, from a dos command box do a DIR command against the share e.g. DIR \\NAS1\CAM1 You are interested in the last line that reports the 'bytes free'. If it returns the total free space on the whole NAS > 250GB then it is unlikely to work, if it returns the size< 250GB it should work.

If you have a Linux system and can mount the share then a 'df' command will give a better result.

l3al3a

n3wb
Reaction score
Can I record the Hikvision NVR to NAS which is located to a different location ?? or any other way to do that instead of NAS
please Help about it

twilly65

n3wb
Reaction score

We moved and I left my MicroSeven cameras with the old house and bought some HikVision for the new. I wish I'd have researched the FTP video issue a bit more closely, but it is what it is at this point.

I'm curious how to complete the set up to write to my QNAP. I've created an iSCSI LUN of 240G (to keep it under 250) and see I can mount it via Windows/Linux, but am at a loss how I get the cameras to write directly to the the QNAP. I see the port listed at 3260. Is it just a matter of writing to a target:
192.168.xx.xx:3260 ?

Thank you,

Tom