Can I connect a poe switch to a wifi 6 mesh router and avoid running a long cable?

zedjr

n3wb
Reaction score
I am installing a security system in my detached garage and i have a wifi 6 mesh system. I would like to avoid running a 70 foot ethernet line to house. Can i just run the cams to a poe switch and then run the outgoing ethernet cable into my wifi 6 mesh router. This way i avoid all the cable running to house.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Technically yes but depending on the number of cams, their resolution and bitrates, that can bog down the LAN switch ports on many routers.

The LAN port on the mesh router is not acting as a "PD" component under POE 802.3 specs so it should not communicate with the POE switch (which is the "PSE" device) and so the PSE won't supply power to that port.

Try it and see how it works.

zedjr

n3wb
Reaction score
Technically yes but depending on the number of cams, their resolution and bitrates, that can bog down the LAN switch ports on many routers.

The LAN port on the mesh router is not acting as a "PD" component under POE 802.3 specs so it should not communicate with the POE switch (which is the "PSE" device) and so the PSE won't supply power to that port.

Try it and see how it works.
Won't a poe switch supply the power? Or am i wrong. THis is a new diy for me so am just learning some of this stuff.

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
Mine works and I have 2 POE switches to an Asus router.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm saying it WILL work.
Most folks think that the LAN port on the router will be damaged by power from the POE switch.
I'm saying it will NOT because the POE switch will only supply power to a POE compliant (802.3) device that comms with it....like a POE-powered camera

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Basically the same as what I do with an outdoor point-to-point AP. Connects at the remote end to a POE switch with the cameras connected to it, all running back to my camera network. How well it works over the mesh, don't know, but probably fine with just a few cams.