Can I connect a remote location camera to BI for viewing & motion capture?

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would like to add to BI at my home a single WiFi camera running at my parent's house for occasional viewing and to capture motion triggers to my hard drive. I do not want to do 24/7 streaming or recording.
Is this possible?
I have the same model camera at home and I am able to view\record through BI so I know it is compatible with BI but I do not know if connecting to a remote camera is possible.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Assuming they have Internet, the short answer is "yes" but there's a big ol' BUT.....

You would need to make the cam's IP static (select an IP outside of the routers DHCP pool OR reserve that IP in the router), forward a port in their router to the cam's IP and therein lies the rub...port forwarding is a big no-no. A VPN at their place would be the way to go.

If they already had a Blue Iris server like you then you could do this: Show cam stream from a Remote BI server on a Local BI server

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
No BI server there. Just 1 mac computer with basically nothing on it and the 1 WiFi cam inside looking at the living room and front door while away. In this instance I would not mind doing the port forward for a period of time.
Make cam IP static &Forward a port TO the Cam's IP Can do...how do I determine the cam's external IP address and any other info too plug into my BI when creating a camera?
Thanks.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No BI server there. Just 1 mac computer with basically nothing on it and the 1 WiFi cam inside looking at the living room and front door while away. In this instance I would not mind doing the port forward for a period of time.
Make cam IP static &Forward a port TO the Cam's IP Can do...how do I determine the cam's external IP address and any other info too plug into my BI when creating a camera?
Thanks.
Use DDNS hostname to access the WAN at their house, forward port to cam's static LAN IP.
Hopefully their router can be configured to refresh the DDNS if it changes.

The URL for BI to access the cam would be something like this:

Code:
http://Your-IPCT-DDNS-hostname.com/Cam-LAN-IP:forwarded-port
Set the rest of the URL and video path up in BI just like your cam since it's identical, you said.

If you would, PM me a screenshot of your "identical" cam's "video", "configure" page; there's no sensitive info on it, the shown IP is local and the cam's password is hidden.

EDIT 022019 0729 CT: removed comment "....You can get a free DDNS hostname from IPCT, ask @Mike". This available to staff only...my oversight.

Last edited: