Can I do 3 profiles on IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E? - Day / Night/ _________???

rdiggidy

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks to this forum I was able to get a IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E setup for LPR with Blue Iris (hoping to catch a porch pirate!).

While I am still dialing it in, I am able to get what seems to be sufficient quality video for LPR use at night and during the day. I've been able to get the camera switching between the two modes via Blue Iris and the html command tied to sunset and sunrise.

My issue is: during the morning hours (8am-ish to 11am-ish) the sun is too bright and washes out all plates. My camera faces west, and as the sun rises, it appears to be too bright for my daylight settings to handle the very bright reflection of plates which are oriented east and west. I am able to tweak things to make the daylight profile work, but then, after noon or so, that profile won't catch any plates. So I'm trying to decide what to do.

I'm wondering if there is a way to make a 3rd profile (night, day, and "early day") and then I could have blue iris switch between the 3 at the appropriate times. Or, should there be some daytime setting which should be able to capture early morning plates with a very strong reflection as well as plates later in the day when the sun is overhead and there is much less reflection?

If making a 3rd profile is possible/an advisable solution, any pointers on how to do it? I tried using the "general" profile in the camera's settings, but it seems that when I make a change to the "general" profile it makes the same change to my "day" profile (ie I changed General to Color and then I went to my "day" profile" and it too was changed from BW to color). So I'm not sure what the general profile does exactly and not sure if it can serve my purpose of a 3rd profile.

Here's what I get in the daytime, between about 11am and when the sunsets:

IMG_9022.PNG

This is the same settings, earlier in the morning, when the sun is rising, pointing directly at the plates and appears to be giving off too much reflection:

IMG_9020.PNG

I modified the daytime profile where it will capture in the bright early sun:

IMG_9025.PNG

But the profile that works on the early morning, bright sun, doesn't work the rest of the day:

IMG_9018.PNGIMG_9019.PNG

And not sure that it's relevant, but this is what I've got so far for my nighttime profile:

IMG_9021.PNG

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Have you tried running color in the daytime? I have a similar scene and that was the only way I could find to mitigate the early morning glare….then play with a custom exposure range to allow for the sun moving. It’s not perfect but it’s better

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dawn and Dusk or certain parts of the day will always be problematic for some field of views.

You can mitigate some, but it is a balance. You could start coming up with API commands to make changes.

rdiggidy

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks all for the recommendations!

I’m going to try each recommendation out. Today I tried leaving the night time profile on all day and that actually looks promising. Going to tweak it a little and see if this might solve the issue.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a difference between the "General" and "Day" profile?
Im not a certified cam nut yet, but I do see where day and night switching is a thing. and General is not included in that "auto switching" in schedule tab or whatever it's named.
If you had an indoor cam with lighting, General could be the way to go then it wont change.