Can I expand my alarm system?

Mlda

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@tangent Here it goes.

You can find the specs and datasheet of what I've got: Honeywell (Ademco Microtech) Galaxy 16Plus (Galaxy 16 Range) control panel for intruder alarms | Security Products - SourceSecurity.com.

It´s 20 years old, so I'm not sure of what could be done. I know that I can wire a Wireless Interface (http://www.networktechinc.com/pdf/enviromux-wlr4.pdf or http://www.visonic.com/Data/Uploads/MCR_304_Installer_Guide_Eng_DE3174.pdf) adding wireless expansion.

As for the smoke/fire detectors, I'm copying what I wrote on the previous thread.

My alarm system is rather old and has all 16 zones occupied but is very reliable. What I intend to do is to wire the sensors to the alarm voice communicator with a relay, so that whenever the sensors trigger I will be notified. I will not be able to tell each one was triggered, but I can live with that. I will probably sitck to battery operated CO sensors because it's more important to hear the alarm when I'm home and only wire the smoke/heat sensors to the communicator, since I need to be notified of a fire, also when I'm not home.

Any better ideas? Thank you.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@tangent Here it goes.

You can find the specs and datasheet of what I've got: Honeywell (Ademco Microtech) Galaxy 16Plus (Galaxy 16 Range) control panel for intruder alarms | Security Products - SourceSecurity.com.

It´s 20 years old, so I'm not sure of what could be done. I know that I can wire a Wireless Interface (http://www.networktechinc.com/pdf/enviromux-wlr4.pdf or http://www.visonic.com/Data/Uploads/MCR_304_Installer_Guide_Eng_DE3174.pdf) adding wireless expansion.

As for the smoke/fire detectors, I'm copying what I wrote on the previous thread.

My alarm system is rather old and has all 16 zones occupied but is very reliable. What I intend to do is to wire the sensors to the alarm voice communicator with a relay, so that whenever the sensors trigger I will be notified. I will not be able to tell each one was triggered, but I can live with that. I will probably sitck to battery operated CO sensors because it's more important to hear the alarm when I'm home and only wire the smoke/heat sensors to the communicator, since I need to be notified of a fire, also when I'm not home.

Any better ideas? Thank you.
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. So first of all if your alarm currently monitored? If it is you'll need to work with the alarm company to add anything.
It doesn't look like there's a whole lot that can be done to you existing panel. I think it's at capacity, looks like 8 on board zones + an 8 zone expander. I thought there was a chance you'd be able to add a zone expander and a couple more zones. The only other thing you could do to your Galaxy 16plus would be combine a couple zones to free up zones for extra sensors.

Often when someone upgrades an alarm system they're actually swapping out the main control board of the alarm system leaving other components in place. Your existing keypads may be compatible with a newer Galaxy Flex panel. Basically if you want to add on to the system you'd be replacing the control board and possibly the keypads. Your old voice communicator and other modules may or may not be compatible or may be unnecessary as more features could be built in.

From a quick glance I may like these honeywell products better than the ones we use in the US.

Mlda

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. So first of all if your alarm currently monitored? If it is you'll need to work with the alarm company to add anything.
It doesn't look like there's a whole lot that can be done to you existing panel. I think it's at capacity, looks like 8 on board zones + an 8 zone expander. I thought there was a chance you'd be able to add a zone expander and a couple more zones. The only other thing you could do to your Galaxy 16plus would be combine a couple zones to free up zones for extra sensors.

Often when someone upgrades an alarm system they're actually swapping out the main control board of the alarm system leaving other components in place. Your existing keypads may be compatible with a newer Galaxy Flex panel. Basically if you want to add on to the system you'd be replacing the control board and possibly the keypads. Your old voice communicator and other modules may or may not be compatible or may be unnecessary as more features could be built in.

From a quick glance I may like these honeywell products better than the ones we use in the US.
Thanks tangent. I came to the same conclusion. For now, I will try to install the smoke/fire/CO sensors just the way I planned. Later, when I have the surveillance system I will better understand if I need to purchase a new alarm panel/keypads to integrated both systems together. Galaxy Flex is exactly what I have in mind, hoping all the configuration wil be similar to my old Galaxy 16Plus, since I'm already used to how it works. And no, my alarm is not monitored because I work in a farm around the house. My timing for responding any alert will be faster than any company and that is why the communicator contacts my cell phone in the first place. And, actually, we don´t use the alarm that much because normally there is somebody home.

Thanks again for looking into this.