Can I install different software on my NVR or am I stuck with the pre-installed one?

Reaction score
Hello Everyone

I am new to the cctv world and we have been installing a home security system using Security Labs NVR and camera setup. Everythings been great until recently, my NVR isn't sending emails anymore. And I can't find anything online for Security Labs anymore, their website is no longer functioning (of course)!

So, a couple of questions? Is it possible to just install a different NVR software or am I stuck with the software installed by Security Labs? If so, what's recommended and how to install it on the NVR? I have the POE cameras and am loving the setup, but I want more control over the software parameters. I really don't want to use an internet based server or browser access for my system if I can help it.

Thanks in advance!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Re: Can I install different software on my NVR or am I stuck with the pre-installed o

your stuck, unless they were rebranding someone elses hardware.. which most of these fly by night companies do.. but figuring out the OEM is not easy.

your mail problems are likely because stronger crypto requirements being widely deployed, not much you can do other than run your own outbound mail server if your ISP will allow that.

Reaction score
Re: Can I install different software on my NVR or am I stuck with the pre-installed o

Well shoot!

Thanks for replying! At least now I know.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can a LaView NVR have it’s software replaced? If so any recommendations?
Hi @PTZclueless

Technically - yes you can load different software on most embedded boxes, in this case your NVR.

From a practical end user point of view - it's typically far more of a PITA to find what will work and load it. Typically easier to just accept what the vendor has provided - or perhaps go with the OEM version of the software ( can still be a PITA to go through the process to update the firmware ).

If you really do not like the software on the NVR, see if you can stream the video feeds out to a PC running VMS software you like better ( many members here like Blue Iris as Silas notes )