Can I Manage the space set aside for recording of Main & Substream?

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
So some consider recording the substream to the HD as a waste of HD space.
- Live remote viewing on Android (using gDMSS) is acceptable using Sub Stream. Using Main Stream is problematic w/ cellular. (Main Stream is recorded w/ good bitrate and fps)
--- Granted, Live viewing of Substream doesn't require recording the Substream to the HD.
- I use Push Notifications to my android phone. I get to view a 30 second video clip from the NVR's HD. If I don't record the Substream to HD, this viewing uses the Main Stream. And it's very slow, approx 1/2 speed. Viewing in 2X mode (double speed) on the android doesn't noticably speed up playing of the video. Not a good viewing experience.
- If I record the Substream to the HD, remote viewing video clips is full speed. Clicking 2X or 4X speeds up the video. Nice. Desireable.

My conclusion: The real (and only?) value in recording Substream to HD is for an acceptable performance when remotely viewing clips on my android (after a Push Notification).

My Question: Is there a way to define how much storage is dedicated to storing Main Stream and Substream on the HD?

Quick aside: In a past life, I worked at a place that made cameras and NVRs for buses, trains, and gov't vehicles. The NVR could be configured to define how many MB was set aside for Main and Sub stream recording. Very useful. City bus operators usually opted for 3 to 4 wks of Sub, and 1 to 1.5 wks of Main. If really bad things happened (assault, an accident), Main Stream HD would be downloaded immediately. If Debbie Gadfly complained the bus passed her 2 weeks ago while standing at the bus stop, then Substream was sufficient.
Point being: An ability to "segment" the storage that's set aside for Main & Sub stream would be useful!

In the Dahua NVR,
1) Under Setting, Storage, Schedule, I don't see a way to "schedule" Substream and Main stream seperately.
2) Under Setting, Record Control, I can only enable/disable the recording of Main & Sub streams.

Summary:
For remotely viewing video clips on my android, I want to use Substream. I only need ~12 hours of recorded Substream on the NVR HD.
I view recorded video recorded in HD (when I'm home). My 2TB drive has about 5 days of HD video. Plenty.
But I'd like to optimize the HD storage! And maximize space for HD storage, by minimizing the storage space of substream video to 1/2 day or so. A small "circular buffer"

Anyone with clever ideas or good news?

Thanks?

Last edited: