Can I move license for BI?

dehcbad25

n3wb
Reaction score
This might be a dumb question, but I was testing BI and it seems to work well for us. Howerver the trial has ended.
I am going to get a license but I don't have the final hardware ready yet. Can I add the license to the machine I was testing, and when I have the new machine in a month or so move the license?
And since we are in the moving topic, can I also move the settings? I have 14 cameras configured in the trial, and I have 6 more to connect (I will have about 35 cameras at the end)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This might be a dumb question, but I was testing BI and it seems to work well for us. Howerver the trial has ended.
I am going to get a license but I don't have the final hardware ready yet. Can I add the license to the machine I was testing, and when I have the new machine in a month or so move the license?
And since we are in the moving topic, can I also move the settings? I have 14 cameras configured in the trial, and I have 6 more to connect (I will have about 35 cameras at the end)
Yes, go to blue iris options > about and deactivate. Then install on the new system and enter the key.
In the same tab there is an option to export your settings. You will need a powerful system for 35 cameras if they are 2+ megapixels each.

dehcbad25

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the answer Fenderman.
For the system I have a Lenovo TS1440 with a Xeon E3-1225v3 which would support hardware acceleration. I will install in it an Nvidia card for the camera display (and probably have to use an HDMI adapter to keep the onboard GPU enabled).
Do you think that would be enough? I already had the system because I was going to use it as a Hyper-V backup but I never set it up so I though it would be a good NVR box instead.
Otherwise I was considering building a Skydale Core i7 setup from scratch since I was not too happy with most of the PCs that use Skydale (If I have to go the Skydale route I will concentrate on trying to hide the system).
The test I am running in a Gigabyte Brix with AMD A8-5557M APU and it is running decent (It will not run 35 cameras though). To have all 35 cameras I think it will take me about 1 year too. I can have 25 by the end of the month (the cameras are in remote locations, and I am connecting using VPN....we have 50 Mbps fiber)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What is the resolution you will be running the cameras at and what frame rate?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The cameras are D-Link DCS-6010L
http://us.dlink.com/us/en/business-solutions/ip-surveillance/business-ip-cameras/dome-cameras/dcs-6010l-2-megapixel-panoramic-wireless-cloud-camera
They are 2M and the speed is at 15 fps
2M@15fps
I won't keep using these cameras though. Any new locations I want to use a better camera that has PoE. We used these because the Wifi allowed us to be up and running quickly
You will likely not be able to run 35 of those cameras with BI and that processor...You need something stronger...also with that many cameras on wifi, you will have problems.

dehcbad25

n3wb
Reaction score
Do you think a Core i7 Skydale will handle it?
The Wi-Fi should no be problem because the BI machine is wired, and the cameras are all I separate networks (so they won't bog it down). Each camera is in a remote location, with 1 camera per location/router. Half of them are wired too.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
SkyLAKE i7-6700 looks to give you ~25% better CPU perf, but at a cost.
maybe run several Haswell i-4790's and use @bp2008's web UI (now supporting multiple BI servers) to view them together?

Last edited by a moderator: