Can I start w just Dahua camera and SD card?

Reaction score
Ultimately I want to run blue iris and have a tower built to record 24/7 multiple cameras. That will take more time to get all ordered and setup.

I have immediate security concerns out front (crazy x) and want to get camera up ASAP and record Audio and video, either 24/7 or for at least 3 mins per motion activation. Can I get a WiFi outdoor Dahua camera with an SD card and record right to SD card and just configure the camera once I get it on my network either through a web browser on my network or an app?

seems like perhaps this is possible. I am a newbie and appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Reaction score
The Dahua cams that you would want permanently for BI will be POE IP cams. That cam will need to be initially plugged in to a PC to initialize it and set it up through a web browser. You could then mount it and power it either with a POE switch or a proper power supply. Recording 24/7 to an SD card will fill up the card fast. Make sure you get one of the newer ones that are rated for surveillance. It might be better to just record on motion or trip wire. Card will last longer. It would not be optimal to have to remove the SD card every time you want to see what happened. It would be better to have the cam plugged into a POE switch and that switch plugged into a PC so that you could access the SD card via a web browser.

Reaction score
Ok. The other issue is I need to go through brick and was hoping to use a WiFi camera and just drill through brick wall for power to be plugged into the wall in my bedroom. Getting a cat6 all the way down to my basement and my router there would be tough. I do have cat5 in the wall from bedroom to the basement tho. I know how to terminate Cables and maybe I could tack onto that wire run?

I guess im looking for a quicker solution
That ultimately can be added to the system I want to build.

Would the below work for that and with blue iris ultimately? Maybe I should just go POE and forget WiFi.

Amcrest SmartHome 1080p WiFi Amazon.com: Amcrest SmartHome 1080p WiFi Outdoor Security Camera with Spotlight, Built-in Siren Alarm, Strobe Light, Two-Way Audio, Night Vision, 133° View, IP65 Weatherproof, MicroSD & Smart Cloud Storage, ADC2W: Electronics

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
WIFI for security cams is very unreliable. I started out with a few WIFI cams and they are always going offline, then come back online, then offline, etc. Several times a day.

If you are going to drill through brick for a power cord, just run Cat5e. Yes you could plug into the ethernet in your bedroom. I have several cams using the house Cat5e wiring. Example: I have a four+four POE switch in my office that I have three IP cams plugged into. One of the non-POE ports goes to an ethernet wall outlet that feeds back to my IT closet upstairs and goes to the main switch that all of my cams use along with the BI server.

Reaction score
As far as the Amcrest cam you posted, I am sure it would work with BI, but I have no experience with that brand.
Ok, great. Thanks for the advice in helping me get started! Yea I’m going Poe then and then probably start off before running to the basement(no existing wiring in the house is terminated or labeled so I’ll have to tone it out) and just have a POE switch in the bedroom for power after configuring the camera from direct connection to a computer.
From there I’ll get the wiring straight then build the tower and get blue iris running and hook up the inside of the house.

My kid has special needs and I have caregivers I want to monitor when pandemic lifts and I’m out of house. outside I need to document my x. Starting w outside first a s a p.

I think I want Dahua cameras(I heard armcrest was Dahua w diff firmware, but limited firmware features).
For outside Id prefer 2 way audio and as wide camera angles as possible w night vision. Any recommendations? I’d consider Hikvision also.
Thanks!!

Reaction score
IF you have not yet read the Cliff Notes and the WIKI, you need to do that. While I did build my BI PC, you don't NEED to build. There are used business grade PCs that others here swear by and are discussed in the Cliff Notes.

Realize that wide angle FOVs are nice for an overview cam, they are not very good at getting a good face shot unless the perp is close to the cam. I have not investigated cams with 2-way audio, so I can't help you there. For specific questions like that, first check out the Cliff Notes for answers, then do a search here. If you do not get your answer, then post a separate thread. Most folks look at the title and decide if they will even open it.

Yes, Amcrest are rebranded Dahua, usually with their own FW. Some have flashed Amcrest with the appropriate Dahua FW, but why not just buy the Dahua then? There is a really good member that sells prosumer Dahua cams and I have bought all of my cams (19 so far) from him over the last 2 years. He is @EMPIRETECANDY (aka Andy). He has an Amazon storefront and an Aliexpress storefront, but I just send him an email asking for price and availability and get the cam in about a week.

The current Dahua favorite is the 5442 series. They come in bullet and turret models. These are 4MP cams on a 1/1.8" sensor which give excellent low-light color night video. Do a search for 'Review' in the title and you will see all of the reviews of cams from members.

Look for @SouthernYankee who has a great welcome post to all newcomers. It has lots of good info on it.