Can I use a POE switch to power the cameras, but also my PCs?

Tibor Makai

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm installing a POE+ switch in my garage and all the cameras will be plugged into it. Output goes to the BI PC in living room.
I also have PCs, audio/video devices in the garage that needs internet connection. (home theater, 2x PCs for electronic repairs)
Can I use the same switch+Ethernet cables, or I would need a separate one for those devices?
POE switch can be connected to the router, or just to the BI PC?
Cameras will be on another subnet.
As suggested to me in another post a while back, I would need a second NIC card in the BI PC.
I have it already. Now I'm planning to install everything(finally), run the cables, setup everything, etc.
But, I still don't have a good picture in my mind, about what should be connected with what, and what should be avoided.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you are wanting to run just one cable from house to garage with cameras on a separate subnet from the other gear, I think the router and switch will need to have VLAN capability to keep the traffic separate.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
I have an Asus RT-AC88U router.
I'm not that advanced to know, what you have just said.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There's two ways to isolate the cams from the internet. The one you are referring to using two nics is probably the easiest to implement. The other way would be VLANs. That requires a bit of networking knowledge and the proper switchs that can support VLAN.

So lets just talk about the two nic solution. Look at the two sets of devices as completely separate physical networks. They don't share switches. So you would need two ethernet wires going to your garage. One for each network and a switch for each as well. Cams on one switch and PCs on the other. Cams do not connect to the wan router. Only to their poe switch which connects to one nic of the BI machine.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
I was afraid of that answer, that I still need to run another wire and I still need another switch. ...and I thought, that I'm done in the garage. Then the new PTZ comes, I will need to install it and run another ethernet cable. When will this end?
Thank you very much for you help.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well as @Whoaru99 points out, you could do a VLAN. Then just one wire to garage. "Virtual Local Area Network" as opposed to the physical separation we discussed.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
You don't really NEED to separate them physically or virtually with a VLAN. Is it better? Sure. But not really required for most home users. So you can run both off of the same cable and still isolate the cameras in other ways. Separate subnets will run on the same cable/switch. Can still be blocked from Internet access in/out. No valid gateways. Etc.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
You can compromise by adding a second IP address to your PC that is different than your normal one, say in the 10.X.X.X range. Assign the cameras to that IP range and they will not be seen by the router and have no way to access the internet. Not as secure as a VLAN for the cameras, but more secure than having them on the same LAN as everything else. Your PC, with two addresses, will work normally on your "normal" LAN and on the "hidden" LAN for your cameras.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Keep in mind the two address trick won't isolate network traffic, but it really shouldn't be much of a problem if your switch is linked to the router with a gigabit link.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I have that same switch and, so far after a month, it's still working fine. It's plugged into a gig switch that supports the rest of the network gear.

Tibor Makai

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A side question, I'm buying a 59225U PTZ, it should work directly with it, without power supply, right?
I will have that switch in the garage(in LA), and I'm worried how it will work, when the temperature is around 110-120F.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
The switch should power it, at least according to the specs on the switch being 30 watts per port and 130 watts total.

That said, I have to be honest and say I am not impressed by the lack of a cooling fan. My switch sits on my desk and is powering ten cameras at the moment, guesstimate of about 60 watts total draw. It runs warm and I am a little concerned what will happen when I populate it fully and summertime temperatures hit. If I were putting it in a non climate controlled environment, I'd used some sort of fan on it if for no other purpose than, hopefully, extend its life. I may rig some sort of a fan for it on my desk. Given the number of fans I already have running, one more won't be noticed, plus after working in server rooms for too long, I can hardly hear them anyway.

Tibor Makai

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I will have to take it apart and look around what can be done. Maybe increase the heatsink(s), or adding a fan, as you said. It has to be a big size, maybe external, to be quite.
Even with a fan, I'm not sure how good it will be, since will circulate hot air.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
The ambient air, even if "hot" as in 100F, should be cooler than the temperature of components under load. It becomes a question of how much air, noise, you're willing to put up with. I use a 200CFM inline fan to keep my desktop PC cool. A little loud for most folks, but fine for me. Dropped temperatures inside the case by 30F even on the hottest days.

I'm waiting until after the warranty period before I take mine apart and have a look at installing an internal fan. Given the case size it won't be a very big fan anyway. I may take it apart, punch holes, or make a cut out, in the top and mount an 80 or 120mm fan externally. They don't call me Clark Griswald for nothing.

Tibor Makai

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Mine is a refurbished one, purchased from BV on Ebay, for $75. I guess, I will be looking into it first.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
This is not the right place for these pictures, but I did not want to start a new thread and explain everything all over again.
The good news is, that there is a two pin 12V plug on the board, that I assume it should be able to power a fan.
It seems, like there is a grill for a 40mm x 40mm fan. I would prefer a big fan, to move more air and be less nosy. I will see what I can come up with.
Maybe, I will cut out the top cover and install a much larger fan.
Overview:
20190215_173113.jpg
Front panel:
20190215_173124.jpg
12V connector:
20190215_173133.jpg
Power supply:
20190215_173154.jpg
Switch itself:
20190215_174358.jpg
Model number:
20190215_174437.jpg