Can I Use My Gaming PC for Blue Iris

Baubas

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can I use my gaming PC for BI and still use it for gaming or should I have a dedicated PC for BI? 6 2mp 1080p cams @ 30fps. PC is i7-8700K, Z370, 16GB DDR, GTX 1080Ti, 240GB SSD, 1TB HDD.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Can I use my gaming PC for BI and still use it for gaming or should I have a dedicated PC for BI? 6 2mp 1080p cams @ 30fps. PC is i7-8700K, Z370, 16GB DDR, GTX 1080Ti, 240GB SSD, 1TB HDD.
terrible idea...you want a dedicated machine...you can buy a third generation i5 desktop for 100 or so.

Enrique

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I run BI on a multipurpose machine and it is fine for my needs. Fenderman says terrible, but it works for me.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I run BI on a multipurpose machine and it is fine for my needs. Fenderman says terrible, but it works for me.
makes no sense...horrible idea when you can buy a 100 dollar machine...there is something call murphys law...it dictates that when your silly game, webpage, update, etc crashes/reboots your pc, you will need that footage...

Enrique

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'd be shocked to find a $100 machine with mouse, keyboard, OS license, HD for storage and monitor for $100. I could be wrong. You could probably swap cables back and forth with a primary rig but it is extra hassle that I don't want to deal with. I'm willing to accept the murphy's law risk. If others don't want to take that risk, fine, I understand.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd be shocked to find a $100 machine with mouse, keyboard, OS license and monitor for $100. I could be wrong. You could probably swap cables back and forth with a primary rig but it is extra hassle that I don't want to deal with. I'm willing to accept the murphy's law risk. If others don't want to take that risk, fine, I understand.
a monitor is 25..my bad...mouse and keyboard 10...most of my 20+ installations have the BI console up 24/7..since he obviously is not planing to do that, teamviewer or windows RDP will work. so you could not use the rig anyway...makes no sense to buy a high powered gaming rig and use it to run BI in the background...

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm guilty of blasphemy as well. I have a fairly decent system running folding@home and BI. Folding is using the GPUs I have in the machine and I've "off loaded" the folding overhead, as much as possible, off of the CPU. BI is using about 17% of the CPU and Folding is using around 20%. Neither seem to be effected by the other. Unfortunately, the motherboard doesn't have integrated graphics so one card is shared by BI and Folding, a GT1060. Now gaming is a whole different thing since it is graphic and GPU intensive. That's something I wouldn't do.

I've thought about a dedicated machine for BI, I'll have a spare system in a mid-tower case hanging around in a few more weeks, but I can't justify two machines running 24/7/365 when the horsepower of my main machine is more than enough to handle both with no problems.

khx73

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can you? yes. Should you?... a lot longer answer as you can see by this thread.

FWIW, I run BI and 8 cams like yours 24/7 on my gaming PC. Routinely watch multiple HD gaming streams, and play demanding games on it when I want.. including PUBG recently... no issues whatsoever. And it's a i7-6700k, 32GB, GTX1060 with lots of storage including a WD purple for BI.

Take all these posts into consideration, and do what works for you.

Baubas

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses. I didn't think this question would be so confrontational.

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses. I didn't think this question would be so confrontational.
It's because you can buy a i5-3570 computer with windows 7 and 8gigs of ram for around $130. Don't believe me search eBay for "HP Compaq i5". Plenty of pcs on there for that price.

CAN you do it... yes.... but if you are wanting some reliable no one here would recommend it

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.