Can not see cameras on my phone or on admin page

Minime46

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys

I can not view my HIK cameras remotely on my phone or on admin page IF I am not connected to my home wifi/connection.

I can reach the admin page in my browser the cameras are listed but are not showing up. When u click a camera it simply says live view failed.

I have done port forwarding, although my settings ask for external port AND internal?

I have just put external as

My NVR is on 192.168.1.170

My cameras are on the internal NIC ip of 192.168.254.xxx

Any help would be greatly received.

20200119_203602.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Not sure what brand NVR or cameras you're using but if like the built-in switch on Dahau PoE NVR's, you can't reach the subnet the cameras are on from outside the LAN. You would need to VPN in

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Search for OpenVPN

You can reach them inside your network because the switch allows you to access them from your LAN which is 192.168.1.x.
But remotely you are on a different network and can’t connect through the switch.

So you will need to setup a VPN which creates a virtual connection to your internal LAN allowing you to connect as if you are at home.

Minime46

n3wb
Reaction score
Search for OpenVPN

You can reach them inside your network because the switch allows you to access them from your LAN which is 192.168.1.x.
But remotely you are on a different network and can’t connect through the switch.

So you will need to setup a VPN which creates a virtual connection to your internal LAN allowing you to connect as if you are at home.

Thank you. that makes sense. I am new to all of this. Is this really the simple way to plug and play these cameras and be able to see them on my phone away from home? It's much more complicated than I was expecting....

I dont really know where to start with vpn...

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
VPN is the right way. It keeps your network secure, port forwarding is not.

Im not familiar with HiK gear, it’s possible you have a more simple issue if you can see your NVR you should be able to view the cameras with it. (Regardless you should look into OpenVPN)

Perhaps one of our resident HiK pro’s can help

Minime46

n3wb
Reaction score
I did the port forwarding.
Very weird I still cannot see the cameras even when I'm connected directly via ethernet and type in the NVR ip 192.168.1.170 into browser. The cameras are listed but not able to see them

If I put in 192.168.1.170:65001 002 etc i get directly into each camera. Again though, only if i am on the same wifi. Very weird.

15794799566547454258448197355011.jpg

themow

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Try changing the ports on the NVR,(go up one number on each port) Sometimes the common ports have conflicts. Then open up the new ports in the router.

What type of router do you have? Many modern routers have vpn built right in. You have to enable and do a bit of setup but there are guides. I highly suggest you go that route. Its by far more secure and not all that hard to setup.

Minime46

n3wb
Reaction score
Try changing the ports on the NVR,(go up one number on each port) Sometimes the common ports have conflicts. Then open up the new ports in the router.

What type of router do you have? Many modern routers have vpn built right in. You have to enable and do a bit of setup but there are guides. I highly suggest you go that route. Its by far more secure and not all that hard to setup.
Thank you. I will try both of these things