Can only see footage in timeline from less than 24 hours ago

amill

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

New to BI, but watched some tutorial videos and read a few things on the forum here. I've had BI up and running since last Thursday night. I went in and checked my system this morning and it seems I only have access to yesterday's footage beginning at 4pm. I've attached a picture of my timeline and the Clips/Archiving tab. I'm sure it's a setting I've missed or I changed by accident. Also, is there a way to allocated more than the 31gigs of storage that BI is showing as available below the timeline? This machine is only used for BI, so it can use almost all the HDD space.

Thank you.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello,

New to BI, but watched some tutorial videos and read a few things on the forum here. I've had BI up and running since last Thursday night. I went in and checked my system this morning and it seems I only have access to yesterday's footage beginning at 4pm. I've attached a picture of my timeline and the Clips/Archiving tab. I'm sure it's a setting I've missed or I changed by accident. Also, is there a way to allocated more than the 31gigs of storage that BI is showing as available below the timeline? This machine is only used for BI, so it can use almost all the HDD space.

Thank you.

you just explained your problem..simply allocate more storage...ensure that you dont over allocate...never limit clip by age...

amill

n3wb
Reaction score
you just explained your problem..simply allocate more storage...ensure that you dont over allocate...never limit clip by age...
Where is the option to allocate more storage? I don't really see a spot in the settings showing that 31gb is allocated with the ability to adjust. Also, when the clips hit that storage limit, are they archived?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Where is the option to allocate more storage? I don't really see a spot in the settings showing that 31gb is allocated with the ability to adjust. Also, when the clips hit that storage limit, are they archived?
Look at the image you posted

amill

n3wb
Reaction score
Look at the image you posted
So the 10gigs option, I'm assuming. Just adjust that to whatever I want, and then when new clips hit that storage quota, the system will archive the old clips? I'm guessing the 31gb storage amount below my timeline accounts for archive folders too, which is why the size is different than the option I'm seeing here.

So basically I want to uncheck the days option and up the "Limit Size" from 10gigs to whatever I want? Is there a general rule of thumb for this, like a certain percentage of HDD space?

Sorry for all the questions, I understood a lot of the camera settings, but the wording for this portion along with the display isn't the best imo.

amill

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok. I think I got this figured out. I have a 1TB HDD in this machine. I record based on motion. I now have the "new" folder set to 300gb size, with no age limit on clips, and the "stored" folder set to 400gb with the same setting for limiting clip age. I'm sure I'll adjust the "new" folder size based on how many days of footage I'm able to review. I usually like to keep 7-10 days on hand. The rest can go into storage. Here is what my status screen looks like.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Admittedly the configuration for that could be a little more intuitive.

I have some suggestions:
1) Don't use the "Stored" folder at all. Configure Stored to reserve no space, and configure "New" to Delete when full instead of moving clips to Stored.
2) The "Alerts" folder goes unused on a lot of systems -- check if your Alerts folder on disk actually has anything in it. If it doesn't, don't bother allocating a bunch of space to it.
3) No need to leave a whole 184.6 GB free. ~20 GB should be more than enough for the system's virtual memory and whatnot.

amill

n3wb
Reaction score
Admittedly the configuration for that could be a little more intuitive.

I have some suggestions:
1) Don't use the "Stored" folder at all. Configure Stored to reserve no space, and configure "New" to Delete when full instead of moving clips to Stored.
2) The "Alerts" folder goes unused on a lot of systems -- check if your Alerts folder on disk actually has anything in it. If it doesn't, don't bother allocating a bunch of space to it.
3) No need to leave a whole 184.6 GB free. ~20 GB should be more than enough for the system's virtual memory and whatnot.
Great info. I guess there really is no point to using the store folder, now that you mention that. I can't access those clips on the timeline, and I'd have to manually look through them using the folder system. I was under the assumption that "stored" compressed the files or helped manage space in some method, while keeping the video files accessible.

Enrique

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What possible beneficial use-case is there for separate New and Stored? Honest question, not sarcastic.