Can someone help a newbie please??

Mr_Pointy

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi

I'm looking for a setup for my house that's easy to install and manage, Ideally I'd like to have the ability to:-

1. Use power over Ethernet cameras - if I'm having to run a cable to them for power, I might as well use the same one that takes data down
2. A mix of dome camera's so they can pan/tilt and bullet style so some are fixed - ideally 2 of each
3. Night vision - something I think is pretty standard
4. A system that can upload to a website eventually - I don't mind having a central control box with a HD in
5. Accessible from iPad/laptops

6. motion detection

The software interface has to be easy and something modular may be an option as I'm pretty technical but require a kick start here... - could anyone advise on a system that would meet my needs?

Many thanks

Sean

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
-PoE is a good choice, limit yourself to cams that support the actual PoE standards not passive / brand specific stuff.
-most dome cameras are fixed. ptz cams can electronically pan, tilt, and zoom. Domes don't work that great outdoors or at night.
-Night vision (IR) is pretty common, how well it works / how far it goes varies widely.
-bandwidth limits the practicality of 'cloud' recording.
-motion detection doesn't work that great on camera. Actual PIR sensors work much better. Cams with features like line cross or intrusion detection are more reliable than the standard motion detection which will constantly trigger for clouds, wind, etc.

Do some searching and read other threads here.