Can someone ID this camera for me?

Bluelight

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I recently bought a house that has security cams on the exterior but the power supply is missing. I have a DVR box that says the brand "Anran" but the cameras do not have any markings that i can see that identify the brand. I need to find out so I can figure out what power supply is needed.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

20180204_180112.jpg 20180204_180112.jpg

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
My guess is it's the same brand as the dvr, maybe powered by the dvr, as in POE (power over ethernet).

Bluelight

n3wb
Reaction score
My guess is it's the same brand as the dvr, maybe powered by the dvr, as in POE (power over ethernet).
No, it is not powered by the DVR is has a separate power supply but it may be the same brand. I just am hoping someone can maybe confirm it or tell me some possible brands/models this could be if not. I don't want to end up guessing and get the wrong power supply and frying the cameras. There are 6 of them.

Bluelight

n3wb
Reaction score
Also, thrtdvr powers up but the cameras are not powered cause each one has an AC adapter a style plug that isnt connected to anything. I was told the adapter/power supply went bad and needed to be replaced.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That could be any of dozens of brands. If this is an IP camera (with RJ45 port) then there is a chance it would work on standard 802.3af PoE. Many PoE cameras have DC jacks for 12 volt power, as an alternative. If they are analog cameras, they probably still want 12v power. So you can almost certainly feed it 12 volt DC power, with the barrel connector wired for center positive (which is how most 12v adapters are wired by default). 0.5 amps is probably sufficient, but it isn't unheard of for a camera to use more than that if it has particularly strong IR or is really inefficient. A 1 amp power supply wouldn't hurt.

12v 1a: http://a.co/7jUEX8j
5 pack: http://a.co/ayV19wB

If these are analog cameras with power wire already run to each of them, then you can use a single bigger power supply like this one: http://a.co/5wltc3p

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Bluelight

n3wb
Reaction score
Older Dahua analog cam link: Dahua HAC-HDW1220R-VF 2.7-12mm Manual Varifocal Camera

They still make these, you can pick up power supplys for these things on amazon or many places.
B&H PHOTO :Dahua Technology PFM322 4-in-1<sp> EUHA+12120-070D B&H
That certainly does look like it. Only difference is the IR layout and amount. But it has the manual zoom and focus labels on the camera itself even if the label on the ring faded away due to sun.

I guess i need 2 of these for 6 cams?

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
No way of knowing if the previous owners had these working I guess? Is there power nearby the cameras? All of my cameras are poe and they all have AC power plugs too in case external power is needed, but then my cameras are all less than 5 years old.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Your cams look like that the manual adjustment for zoom and focus, Take a pic of the back of the DVR or NVR so we can see the connection layout.

Bluelight

n3wb
Reaction score
No way of knowing if the previous owners had these working I guess? Is there power nearby the cameras? All of my cameras are poe and they all have AC power plugs too in case external power is needed, but then my cameras are all less than 5 years old.
I dont know how old they are but they were definitely working fine until recently.

Bluelight

n3wb
Reaction score
Your cams look like that the manual adjustment for zoom and focus, Take a pic of the back of the DVR or NVR so we can see the connection layout.
Yes I will post those photos tomorrow morning when i can take them. Thanks

Bluelight

n3wb
Reaction score
Here are additional photos. It looks like there are 5 male connectors and 1 female.

Attachments

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
YUP older analog system, the one pic with the male ends are your power for the cams. To be honest I hope it works out but I would not throw a lot of $$ at it.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
It is unclear to me how the camera power is wired from that. Why would it have so many male connectors? Male connectors are what you typically find on power supplies, which connect to female connectors for each camera.

I only see two female connectors in those pictures. One is already plugged in to something and the other looks like the female end of a female-to-multiple-male adapter.

So I'm guessing you need a fairly large 12v power brick (5 amps should be a great plenty, and they are cheap) to plug in to that open female connector. Should be only $10 or $15 from Amazon.

Last edited:

Bluelight

n3wb
Reaction score
YUP older analog system, the one pic with the male ends are your power for the cams. To be honest I hope it works out but I would not throw a lot of $$ at it.

Thanks. I don't plan to put alot into it but it was working fine when i did the inspection on the house so I feel like i can get them powered back up. I'm confused as BP2008 said though, how exactly this works.

The adapter you linked earlier had all male connectors. I'm assuming that I would need some sort of box that has a bunch of female connections that these plugs can be plugged into but what is the female connector for in that case? I assume it's maybe for the 6th camera.

Bluelight

n3wb
Reaction score
It is unclear to me how the camera power is wired from that. Why would it have so many male connectors? Male connectors are what you typically find on power supplies, which connect to female connectors for each camera.

I only see two female connectors in those pictures. One is already plugged in to something and the other looks like the female end of a female-to-multiple-male adapter.

So I'm guessing you need a fairly large 12v power brick (5 amps should be a great plenty, and they are cheap) to plug in to that open female connector. Should be only $10 or $15 from Amazon.
I agree with you it is weird. As I mentioned above, I'm thinking that all of those male connectors get plugged into some sort of box that has a bunch of female connections but in that case I don't know what happens with the female connector.

Two questions, do you think that it is risky to plug in a power supply without knowing the specifics specs for the amps? I know that 12 volts DC should be fine but is it possible to fry these cameras by putting too much amperage to them,?

Also do you have a link of something that you think would work for this wiring harness? Thanks for all the help guys.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, so it looks like you have 12 wires going into that wall plate back there. 6 are coax, which feed the video into the DVR. 6 are for power. I'm guessing you haven't been messing with the connections so they are all still plugged in the way they were intended to be.

That adapter with all the male power plugs looks like a female-to-8-male adapter. Five of the male ends are unused, just hanging there in your picture. 3 of them lead to the bundle in the back, where I am guessing they are plugged into 3 female barrel connectors (only one is clearly visible in the photos). Each of those 3 barrel connectors is probably spliced into the power lines for two cameras. So that explains how all 6 of your cameras are getting power from only three connectors.

The loose female connector in your first picture is where you need to plug in a power supply. There are a few unknowns. This stuff could be wired center positive, or outside positive. Probably center positive, though, because that is by far the most common. It is also unknown if those connectors are 2.1mm or 2.5mm interior diameter.

So I would recommend you buy this thing: http://a.co/j3ObgEj It comes with a 2.1 to 2.5mm adapter so you are covered regardless of which size the existing connectors are.

You can safely use a power supply with a higher amperage rating than the load requires. The power supply will not force out more power than the devices want to use. You do need the voltage to match, though. Most cameras are 12 volts and use about half an amp, so a 12 volt 5 amp power supply is fine for 6 cameras.

Bluelight

n3wb
Reaction score
Okay, so it looks like you have 12 wires going into that wall plate back there. 6 are coax, which feed the video into the DVR. 6 are for power. I'm guessing you haven't been messing with the connections so they are all still plugged in the way they were intended to be.

That adapter with all the male power plugs looks like a female-to-8-male adapter. Five of the male ends are unused, just hanging there in your picture. 3 of them lead to the bundle in the back, where I am guessing they are plugged into 3 female barrel connectors (only one is clearly visible in the photos). Each of those 3 barrel connectors is probably spliced into the power lines for two cameras. So that explains how all 6 of your cameras are getting power from only three connectors.

The loose female connector in your first picture is where you need to plug in a power supply. There are a few unknowns. This stuff could be wired center positive, or outside positive. Probably center positive, though, because that is by far the most common. It is also unknown if those connectors are 2.1mm or 2.5mm interior diameter.

So I would recommend you buy this thing: http://a.co/j3ObgEj It comes with a 2.1 to 2.5mm adapter so you are covered regardless of which size the existing connectors are.

You can safely use a power supply with a higher amperage rating than the load requires. The power supply will not force out more power than the devices want to use. You do need the voltage to match, though. Most cameras are 12 volts and use about half an amp, so a 12 volt 5 amp power supply is fine for 6 cameras.
Awesome thank you! That makes a lot of sense. I'll order that box u linked and let you guys know how hit goes in a few days I guess. :)

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
It is probably a 2.1mm inner diameter required, so only use the adapter if the plug won't fit without it.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I agree with you it is weird. As I mentioned above, I'm thinking that all of those male connectors get plugged into some sort of box that has a bunch of female connections but in that case I don't know what happens with the female connector.

Two questions, do you think that it is risky to plug in a power supply without knowing the specifics specs for the amps? I know that 12 volts DC should be fine but is it possible to fry these cameras by putting too much amperage to them,?

Also do you have a link of something that you think would work for this wiring harness? Thanks for all the help guys.
I was at a job today where I had setup a tribrid DVR and I remembered I had to keep their lorex system too, Here is a pic of the power supply for the lorex, looks a lot like your setup, the female plugs into a power supply. Looks like those yellow connectors were bugged in to the system and somebody used a separate power supply to power the cams and bypass the original P.S.

lorax.jpg

Last edited: