Can you do remote viewing using camera's sub stream?

wepee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello folks,

How to set up remote viewing in BI web server to stream camera's sub stream?
Normally, all H.264 cameras support multiple streams (1 main stream + 1 sub stream)
In order to save bandwidth using mobile device for remote viewing, I would like to
use the sub stream which is at lower stream rate / lower resolution (D1 or CIF)

Any advice with appreciated.

Thank you.:)

jcams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can connect to the cameras sub stream in BI. But BI compresses the stream to the mobile app to 512kbps regardless of what your cameras are feeding to the BI server. So really no need to do it for that reason. You can adjust the stream to even lower bandwidth if you want. Sub streams are good for streaming to places/devices other than the app.

wepee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can connect to the cameras sub stream in BI. But BI compresses the stream to the mobile app to 512kbps regardless of what your cameras are feeding to the BI server. So really no need to do it for that reason. You can adjust the stream to even lower bandwidth if you want. Sub streams are good for streaming to places/devices other than the app.
All right, thanks for the advice....I did read about something on the compression in the manual......
I guess I must have forgotten about it :)

wepee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
By the way, the more cameras, the more compression, the more CPU resource it will suck up....I have got an i7-4790K will have no problem handling the compression right? :)

jcams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i7-4790k would probably handle 10-15 cameras with no problem.

The compression settings are in BI main settings (gear icon at top left) under webserver tab, advanced, encoder profiles

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
By the way, the more cameras, the more compression, the more CPU resource it will suck up....I have got an i7-4790K will have no problem handling the compression right? :)
You will have no problem remote viewing from BI the remote viewing load is very low.....i would suggest increasing the max webserver bitrate to at least 2048 (if you have adequate upload bandwidth)..remember you can set 3 different remote viewing profiles and select the one you want to use via the mobile app or web interface..