Can you mix IP and CCTV camera's with Blur Iris?

Genbander

n3wb
Reaction score
Looking to migrate from my current CCTV setup and replace some older CCTV camera's with IP cameras. Does Blue Iris support this function with a PCI capture card?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Looking to migrate from my current CCTV setup and replace some older CCTV camera's with IP cameras. Does Blue Iris support this function with a PCI capture card?
There are very few capture cards that worked with blue iris and they were very expensive. The better, cheaper solution is to use a DVR that can support sending multiple rtsp streams to blue iris. Any modern hik/dahua nvr can do this.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There are very few capture cards that worked with blue iris and they were very expensive. The better, cheaper solution is to use a DVR that can support sending multiple rtsp streams to blue iris. Any modern hik/dahua nvr can do this.
You can then also flag that by as "backup" recording through the DVR.

Most home brand DVRs are absolute crap analogue to digital conversion but the cameras are just as crap so it doesn't matter.
If you had the money to buy a decent analogue encoder then it would cost more than new IP cameras.

Genbander

n3wb
Reaction score
OK - so it's obvious I am a Blue Iris novice, but if I understand you correctly I could feed the video stream from my HIK 7216-HGHI-SH and have it up on the same screen with cameras logically attached to the Blue Iris system

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
OK - so it's obvious I am a Blue Iris novice, but if I understand you correctly I could feed the video stream from my HIK 7216-HGHI-SH and have it up on the same screen with cameras logically attached to the Blue Iris system
There are no cameras attached to a bi system. The cameras simply reside on a network that the BI system has access to, the cameras stream to BI via rtsp (often using an onvif protocols - which simple call for the rtsp stream). You would do exactly the same from the DVR. Blue iris doesnt care where it gets its rtsp stream.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Many of us here have an analog DVR feeding a video stream to Blue Iris. Way cheaper than a video card or some kind of converter. As long as your old system is connected to your system with an ethernet cable and is assigned an IP address, more than likely you can find a configuration to make it work.

Download a trial version of Blue Iris and see if you can bring the feed in. More than likely with a HIK system you can.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^.
I've fed a couple of Night Owl DVR's and several Zmodo DVR's into BI for a few clients, a couple had IP cams mixed in as well.
BI is hard to beat for configurability and flexibility, IMO.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I have 3 DVR's running at work and home. the Amcrest Hybrid AMDV8M8-H5 does work for this. It will send camera's to Blue Iris. In Camera settings\Video\Configure i was able to change the value of the Cam# box to 2 and get the second one rolling. So they are both 192.168.1.207's but differentiated by Cam #'s. 1 & 2. It saves me a cold walk in to the remote garage. and standing in a dark garage stall fiddle farting around with a frozen mouse.
No joy on the Nightowl DVR-HDA10PB-16 and the nightowl DVR-THD50B-8 I dont think they speak RSTP. No mention of it in menus. I have tried all my tricks on these guys. It seems their software is so limited.
They will however let me run Nightowl X or NightowlHD windows software out to my BI PC and i can get camera views that way. The DVR-THD50B-8 will also allow a browser call at 192.168.0.5 and my bi PC can then show the cams UI in a 9 box window. But it's definitely not as nice as using blue iris for reviewling last nights fun and games in the parking lots.

Last edited: