Cannot change anything in "clips and archiving" options

rickroll

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just want to up the GB limit and it gives message "folders must be discrete and not subfolders of one another"? I don't have any folders its just Drive E

Attachments

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
You need to create the appropriate directories such as "New", "Stored", "Alerts" and so on, then store the appropriate clips there, not at the root of the drive.

Reaction score
You need to create the appropriate directories such as "New", "Stored", "Alerts" and so on, then store the appropriate clips there, not at the root of the drive.
I'm in the same boat. I have the three folders in use as:
G:\Blueiris
G:\Blueiris-Stored
G:\Blueiris-Alerts

And have had it this way for awhile. I added a camera and went to up the storage and it won't let me save. Gives the error "folders must be discrete and not subfolders of one another"

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
H:\BlueIris\New
G:\BlueIris\Stored
C:\BlueIris\Alerts

Use these file names on any drive you like. A general rule never allocate more than 95% of the total drive space. make sure limit clap age is unchecked.

Check the allocation status in BI. three bar button -> Clip storage

Reaction score
H:\BlueIris\New
G:\BlueIris\Stored
C:\BlueIris\Alerts

Use these file names on any drive you like. A general rule never allocate more than 95% of the total drive space. make sure limit clap age is unchecked.

Check the allocation status in BI. three bar button -> Clip storage
Thank you for the fast reply.

It wouldn't let me change anything. Locations, limit size, or unchecking the limit clip age boxes. It would always give the same message as above.

Finally, moving the DB to another drive is what allowed me to make changes.

WatchIt

n3wb
Reaction score
Same here. I did not chnage anything. When I wanna leave I get this
"Folders must be dicrete an not subfolders of one an other".
Folder I had (and still wanna use):
D:\Kamera\BlueIris\JPG
D:\Kamera\BlueIris\Videos
D:\Kamera\BlueIris\olderVideos

Did you solve your problem?
Thanks,
Ingo

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Watchit

use the standard folder names it will keep life simpler. Why change something, just to change it.

Screen shots are needed.
1) system (gear) clips and archiving - new, stored, alerts
2) status (three bars) clip storage
3) each camera - record folder, also the format settings.

WatchIt

n3wb
Reaction score
O.K., I tried this. Renamed the Folder back to New, Stored, Alerts. Alerts was already there, I never changed it.
But the error is still there. I also set new path for the folders.

Any more Ideas?
Thanks, Ingo

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Where are the screen shots. With out the information we can not help.
Please follow the directions.

WatchIt

n3wb
Reaction score
O.K., sorry. I'm in a hurry now. I will do it again tommorow and send screwnshots. (Because when I went out of the "Options" BI reverses my changings to what they were before)

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@WatchIt
@abydocomistdad
I'm betting it's because you both have changed the Blueiris db folder to \Blueiris instead of \Blueiris\db where it should be.

You must do this (drive letters can be different):

C:\Blueiris\db
C:\Blueiris\Alerts
C:\Blueiris\New
C:\Blueiris\Stored

If you have an SSD and HDD:
D:\Blueiris\New
D:\Blueiris\Stored

Last edited:

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@WatchIt
@abydocomistdad
I'm betting it's because you both have changed the Blueiris db folder to \Blueiris instead of \Blueiris\db where it should be.

You must do this (drive letters can be different):

C:\Blueiris\New
C:\Blueiris\Stored

If you have an SSD and HDD:
D:\Blueiris\New
D:\Blueiris\Stored
Yes. This is what worked for me when I had the same issue last week

ISSUE BlueIris / Blue Iris v4 fix for:
folders must be discrete and not subfolders of one another

I hope others find this as I had to figure it out on my own and it took some time.

WatchIt

n3wb
Reaction score
O.K., I tried it. It was sufficent to move the Database to:
As soon as I did that, I could leave my Folders for the Video where they used to be the last years.
Alerts have been on C before:

Thanks for your help.
But, what I don't understand: Why am I allowed to change the database folder when BI will not work with it correctly?
And, why don't I get a Warning instead of a error meassage which has nothing to do with the problem???

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The error message had everything to do with the problem. When you installed Blueiris, the default db folder was C:\Blueiris\db. You chose to change it to something else, like C:\Blueiris. That makes it so you can't have any other folders (alerts, new, stored) as subfolders within C:\Blueiris

TW9YLLC

n3wb
Reaction score
I just want to up the GB limit and it gives message "folders must be discrete and not subfolders of one another"? I don't have any folders its just Drive E
I am a new user to the group Just found a fix to moving folder
locations such AS: New - Stored - Archived etc in order to accomplish this without the error
"folders must be discrete and not subfolders of one another"

The BI (BlueIris) UI must be paused first or it wont let you change the paths while it is writing data to current folders

Pause is located upper right side on BI Ver5 just below the closed button see image I learned about the pause button quite by accident
I had to email tech support about this when my cameras we not recording when I first got BI there is where I learned about the pause button

my network topography is unique in that of the 25 cameras I am running only 4 are directly wired Using an 8 port Wifi-Texas poe injector
the rest are connected via wifi & 5 netgear range extenders EX6200-100NAS all being fed from an ASUS ROG GT-AX11000 TriBand WiFi Router
I am running 3 NETGEAR - 8-Port 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet PoE/PoE+ Unmanaged Switch GS108LP100NAS the farthest location is my barn
which is 300 feet away took quite a bit of experimentation to get everything up & running TP-Link Range extenders don't work quite right

OH one last thing since my network is spread over 1/2 acre I am using KASA smart plugs to automate the rebooting of the cameras & network
each on their individual smart plug so I am not having to walk to each location when things aren't running quite right :cool:

Could have never accomplished any of this without the superb info here on ipcamtalk MANY THANKS to Everyone :D

Pause Button.jpg