cannot connect 2nd camera to NVR

Reaction score
nvr is a ds-7608ni-e2
camera ds-2cd2032f-I

I been messing with this for a long time. the first camera i connected(same one) was plug and play done.
now the 2nd one the nvr reconigizes it but im always getting " the network is unreachable"

I am damn sure i have the right IP address for the camera and right login and password

i am doing all this through ivms-4200

do i need to do this through the NVR itself? i dont know what the problem is please help!

ive been having too much unwanted attention at my house and need to get this working

Reaction score
Ok couple of questions:

When in the ivms-4200 software under the device management tab, click on server in the upper left, does the camera show up under the "online device" at the bottom of that screen?

Are you using dhcp for the ip address or static?

Reaction score
no the only thing that shows up under the server tab is my NVR.
right now its dhcp. i didnt figure out how to set up static yet

Reaction score
Ok, first things first. Lets get a static ip setup on that camera.

I'm going to assume you have a router that you use at home. Login to that badboy and look at your interal ip address. It should be something like 192.168.1.0, it could be a bit different numbers. Ok look around and you should see a subnet mask like 255.255.255.0 or a number after the network like /24. Also look for the address assigned to the router. On most home routers this will be the .1 address. So like : 192.168.1.1 Those 3 are important write them down. If it is indeed a /24 or a mask of 255.255.255.0 that means you will have an address range of .1 through .254 after that third decimal place.

Now look for something related to dhcp. It should give a range of addresses like 150-200 that can be handed out by your dhcp server. We want to avoid using those addresses.

I suggest downloading an app like Fing on your android or ios phone and running its discovery tool to see what ip addresses are in use on your network.

Now login to the camera, choose an address in the range that isn't being used. You'll need to enter the address ex: 192.168.1.55 , a subnet mask like ex: 255.255.255.0 <-- should match the one you found on your router.

Now for the gateway address. That's the ip address of the router itself that you got earlier.

For dns you can use google: just enter 8.8.8.8 for the first and 8.8.4.4 for the second.

That should get you a static ip assigned to the camera. Now login to the ivms software again and see if the camera shows up after it reboots. It will likely reboot after you change the ip address and save the changes.

good luck, hope that helps.

bamix

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Why are you even using iVMS-4200 ? That is making it more complicated than it needs to be. In any case, the NVR alone will be your server and the Cameras attached are included as you create a Group based on the Server address. Just use the NVR's native Menu Interface by an attached Monitor and mouse. You can also access the Web Interface by opening the IP Address of the NVR in your LAN using a browser on your PC (on the same Network), IE or Firefox will be best as Chrome probably won't support the plug in. If the problem persists, make sure all camera cables are connected at the NVR and then reboot the NVR from the main menu. There may be a device activation step that you have somehow missed. Some newer Hik stuff has 2 step 'activation' now that includes a secret code for access on some platforms. It will be listed in the Menu and should be printed on the label beneath the NVR if it is so equipped.