Cannot connect camera to NVR

BH.Orders

n3wb
Reaction score
Hardware:
IPcam (x2): DaHua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE
NVR: NVR4108-4KS2

Problem:
I was able to set up my two cameras and it worked fine for about 8 months and then the switches suddenly died. I bought new switches so they work now. I have two switches, one switch right next to the NVR and another switch is 500 feet away where my two cameras are connected to. When I replaced both switch, I brought one of the camera in and connected the camera to the switch near the NVR and the camera worked. But when I connected it back to the switch that is 500 feet away, my NVR would not recognize it. I get the error "192.168.1.XXX can not find the network host". I then brought it back to the switch next to the NVR again, and I get the same error "192.168.1.XXX can not find the network host".

After changing my IP to match the IP range of my camera, using the configTool, and hard resetting the camera, I got frustrated so I factory reset both the NVR (via the software interface) and camera (by holding down the reset button for 3 minutes). However, even after I reset both units, my NVR does not see my camera. I tried connecting to the NVR web interface via the ip address (on chrome and IE) but I get an error page. I also used the configTool and did not locate the camera even when specifying the ip range to search in. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The max length for an ether net cable is 328 ft.
if you did a hard rest on a Dahua camera the ip address is 192.168.1.108. Only connect one camera to the switch nearest the NVR. You need to change the IP address of the camera.

How are you powering the camera ?

BH.Orders

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a switch that is designed to go beyond 300 ft. But my problem is that I can’t even connect to the camera to change the camera ip.

Camera is powered through the switch. My setup is like this:

ISP -> switch -> camera
-> switch -> nvr
-> switch -> computer

The switch here is the one nearest the nvr and not 500 ft away.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Tip of the day: for debugging networking issues, try to go step-by-step. If your camera is far away, move it closer, or you go closer. Take a laptop, climb up the ladder, provide local power to the camera (12V?) and plugin your camera into your PC. If Configtool does not see your cam: then your cam is faulty! Corroded ethernet jack, sunburst camera, ... If Configtool does see your cam, you repeat the same exercise with the wire "switch -> camera" with your laptop on the other side of that wire. If this test fails, you know for sure it's that wire, so first change the terminators to re-establish connections in the jacks. If this test is successful, you continu downstream.
You'll get the picture.

Good luck!
CC