Cannot Connect Over WiFi

srvfan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I currently have VPN set up on my router to allow outside access to my BI network outside of home. Without WiFi, I engage the vpn on my phone, and utilize the BI mobile app with no problem.

However, when I am on my local network with WiFi, the app does not connect. I have adjusted the firewall rules on the router to allow the WiFi network onto the BI network. Still, no luck; I can only access once I engage VPN.

Is there an option in BI that will allow me to access over WiFi without port forwarding, or should I just leave VPN engaged on my phone constantly? I was not sure if that would be a drain on resources and unnecessary.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If your phone is on your local WiFi it shoud connect to BI and UI3 ith no problems. The VPN is for use when you're not on your local WiFi. Make sure the phone i actually back on WiFi and not the cellular network.

cuz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Also make sure you are on the correct WiFi network if you have more than one. I use a separate guest network for all our devices that don’t need access to the internal network.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

srvfan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If your phone is on your local WiFi it shoud connect to BI and UI3 ith no problems. The VPN is for use when you're not on your local WiFi. Make sure the phone i actually back on WiFi and not the cellular network.
I have confirmed that I am on my local WiFi. I have my network segregated into VLANs; one of which is WiFi while another is for BI. I did double check the router and my firewall rules do indeed allow a connection between both networks. I have also used a ping tool and my phone and was able to hit the network successfully. However, when I try to ping the exact IP of the computer, no response. When I am on VPN, I can successfully ping the computer IP.
I must be missing something internally within the rules of the router. Guess I will continue researching. Just wanted to make sure BI wasn’t set to reject any type of WiFi connection. Thanks:)

srvfan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Also make sure you are on the correct WiFi network if you have more than one. I use a separate guest network for all our devices that don’t need access to the internal network.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ve ensured that I am on the proper network. My WiFi is on a separate VLAN, and from there, I have it broken down into guest and admin. I’ve provided an exception to allow both of these networks into the BI network. I will continue checking my rules and exceptions. I’m hoping that something clicks like it did yesterday when I figured out the hang-up between vpn and the app. Wish me luck!

srvfan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You need to make the VPN for BI accessible to the VLAN for your WiFi for it to work.
I can access the BI network when I am on WiFi, I just always have to keep VPN on/engaged. The problem I am encountering is trying to access the app when VPN is not engaged and I’m strictly on WiFi. Just wanted to eliminate constantly having the vpn turned on. I’m thinking my issue lies within my firewall rules in the router, so I will just have to keep experimenting. I know I’m missing something simple. :banghead:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
when you are on the home wifi You do not need the VPN. The App needs to have WAN address blank a or with the LAN address. The Lan address needs to the in the XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX: port format.
Yes it is more than likely a firewall issue. Also is the phone set to use WIFI and not cell ?

srvfan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
when you are on the home wifi You do not need the VPN. The App needs to have WAN address blank a or with the LAN address. The Lan address needs to the in the XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX: port format.
Yes it is more than likely a firewall issue. Also is the phone set to use WIFI and not cell ?
Ok, at least now I know VPN is not a necessity while on my home network. Yes, I do ensure my phone is connected to my WiFi network as I receive the little radio broadcast signal at the top. I also randomly check the connection status to make sure it is indeed connected to my network.
I think a lot of my problem comes down to me over-complicating my network. I believe I’m going to get a cheap wireless router to use as an AP and place that into a port on my switch is designated for my BI network. Just do this for trial and error so I don’t screw up my good wireless router until I find my mistake.