Cannot connect remotely any more

charliehorse

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi All
I have a problem with connectivity. I have a bridged modem connected to a Netgear 3800 router. Everything worked ok until about two weeks ago.
I can log in ok on wifi to the local ip. I cannot get in through the external ip or my dnydns domain.
If I run the wizard in Blueiris, I get through all the tests except the last one. If I go onto "Can you see my port" website. It cannot see my ports.
I tried turning off all firewalls. I renewed my AGV today as I thought they removed the firewall clearance because it had expired.
I have an Avermedia card running on another computer and that cannot be accessed either so it looks like a modem or router problem.
Any help would be great. I am at this for the last few days without cracking it :-((

Abbell

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
May help
Although you are better off using a VPN.

charliehorse

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
May help
Although you are better off using a VPN.
Thanks for the reply Abbell
Everything was working with port forwarding for a long time.
I have a cloud camera on a port and I can see that from outside but not Blue iris.
I will try the VPN route.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would first check to see if your ISP has changed your IP on you and your DynDNS needs to be updated. Then I would confirm that you have the necessary ports open on your router/firewall for BI to work (default port 81). If you know your IP is correct, and you have port open to public space then you should get a successful scan on the Can you see me scan. Until you can confirm your port is open on the firewall you are wasting time looking elsewhere.

charliehorse

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would first check to see if your ISP has changed your IP on you and your DynDNS needs to be updated. Then I would confirm that you have the necessary ports open on your router/firewall for BI to work (default port 81). If you know your IP is correct, and you have port open to public space then you should get a successful scan on the Can you see me scan. Until you can confirm your port is open on the firewall you are wasting time looking elsewhere.
Thanks Rupp. I have a dnydns account and the updater is working ok. I tried the IP and the dyndns name but no good. I have the ports forwarded. I use 8001. I have an Avermedia card on another computer that has stopped working too. I have a reasonable knowledge of setting ip cameras so I understand port forwarding etc but I cannot see any ports open if I use Can You See Me. I have the ports forwarded on the model too. I tried turning the firewalls off but no go.
I am looking at setting up a VPN. To be honest, I find IP cameras to be quite unreliable and tedious compared to NVR card options so I am considering that route again. A standalone HD NVR looks attractive given the time I spend maintaining my current IP system. I have a small very cheap cloud camera too a TP-Link 220 that works with Blue iris and I can see (and hear) that independently on my Android phone. This has been my main security cam as it works all the time.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I find IP cameras to be quite unreliable and tedious compared to NVR card options so I am considering that route again. A standalone HD NVR looks attractive given the time I spend maintaining my current IP system. I have a small very cheap cloud camera too a TP-Link 220 that works with Blue iris and I can see (and hear) that independently on my Android phone. This has been my main security cam as it works all the time.
The issue you are having has nothing to do with IP cameras. You would have the SAME exact problem with a standalone NVR/DVR.

charliehorse

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Fender, I understand that part. The thing that I can't figure out is that my TP Link camera works on port 8007 but if I test that port on CanYou See My port, it gives me an error, can't see your service in port 8007. Yet the camera is working and visible on port 8007 externally.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Fender, I understand that part. The thing that I can't figure out is that my TP Link camera works on port 8007 but if I test that port on CanYou See My port, it gives me an error, can't see your service in port 8007. Yet the camera is working and visible on port 8007 externally.
something is not right there, are you sure you are on an external network when testing? not using your home wifi?...regardless, if you are using blue iris why are you port forwarding the individual cameras?

charliehorse

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I turn off wifi on my phone when testing and use mobile data. I cannot reach Blueiris when away either. "Unable to Connect..Reason: Unable to reach server" I have the TP Link camera working on its own app on my phone so the port is forwarded for that. It runs on Blueiris too side by side when its working. Luckily it does work or I would not have any cams at home.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I turn off wifi on my phone when testing and use mobile data. I cannot reach Blueiris when away either. "Unable to Connect..Reason: Unable to reach server" I have the TP Link camera working on its own app on my phone so the port is forwarded for that. It runs on Blueiris too side by side when its working. Luckily it does work or I would not have any cams at home.
You need to delete all your port forwards and start over and only forward the blue iris webserver port.

charliehorse

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am a FR24 feeder so I need those ports forwarded (4). Also Avermedia has about five. I use Lightwaverf for home control too. Do I re-forward these too or leave them?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am a FR24 feeder so I need those ports forwarded (4). Also Avermedia has about five. I use Lightwaverf for home control too. Do I re-forward these too or leave them?
you can leave them..simply disable all camera port forwarding and only forward blue iris

charliehorse

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Fender, I deleted all the camera and Blueiris ports and re-forwarded just the Blueiris one (8001) I rebooted the router after doing that. I can see all the cams locally but not with wifi off. I suspect the problem could be with the modem, a Technicolor 7200. I have that bridged to a Netgear 3800. I did forward the ports in that too tho. The modem was supplied by the ISP. They do not support firmware hack bridged modems (as this one is) so they will not help. They are not blocking according to the "Tech support" guy tho he was rather clueless anyway. Port still not visible on CYSM website.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You said that everything was working up until 2 weeks ago, so what was changed in your network?

charliehorse

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Nothing that I know of. The ISP did reset my modem but it is still bridged to the router. Whats is unusual is that I get an error when I try to check the port with CanYouSeeMe. The server is running so it should be able to see through the port to it but it cannot.

Its peculiar that the Android app can get the proper IP if asked using GET IPS with wifi off so it must be communicating somehow.

Last edited by a moderator:

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you are getting "Error: I could not see your service on" from canyouseeme.org then you don't have a port open on either the modem or the router. One or both of those devices are your problem.

Look at this guide to make sure you are doing the port config correctly for your router.
http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Netgear/WNDR3800/defaultguide.htm

Service Name: Blue Iris
Service Type: TCP/UDP
External Starting Port: 8001
External Ending Port: 8001
Use the same port range for Internal port: true
Internal IP Address: Blue Iris server IP address

charliehorse

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Everything is ok here. Local IP for serving machine is 10.0.0.9 and port is 8001. 10.0.0.9:8001
Both TCP/UDP. Local only box unchecked on user page.
Use the same port range for Internal port
I will try deleting and re-instating users and see if it helps.
I will uninstall android app and reinstall and configure.

charliehorse

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Rupp.
Thanks for the link. I checked the forwarding on the modem again. Firewall off on modem.
It looks ok. I have the target IP on the modem set to the IP of the router 10.0.0.1 so it should go through to the router.
I checked AVG on the server machine and Blueiris is in the application list with "allow" checked.
The address for that ends /www so wonder if that looks correct?