Cannot open TCP port - Solved

Falcon

n3wb
Reaction score
New to the forum. I'm having a problem getting remote BI access to work.

WAN >> ARRIS Surfboard SBG6700 cable MODEM >CAT6> TP-Link Archer AC1750 C7 router >CAT6> Trendnet TEW-637AP >>WIFI>> WIN7 PC w/BIv4

I have several fixed cameras connected directly to the TP-Link Archer AC1750 C7 router, powered by POE injectors.

I am able to connect to the cameras with the PC, and with an Android Galaxy S3 via WIFI through the TEW-637AP.

I am unable to connect to the cameras with the same phone running the BI app outside my network via 4G.

I have the SBG6700 and the AC1750 both set to forward port 87. I used PortForward.com Port Checker to see if the port was open. It checks good for the UDP, but TCP always pops up a message saying “Port 87 could not be checked. Please close any applications that may be using this port and try again”. I tried several other ports (81, 85, 5050, 8585) by reconfiguring the SBG6700, the AC1750, and BI, but the TCP port check still produces the same message.

I tried turning the Windows and Avast Firewalls off but didn’t help.

I tried the BI Webserver tab Remote Access Wizard but it fails at the following step:

upload_2017-2-27_19-14-38.png

Has anyone had a similar problem with the TCP port? I appreciate any suggestuions,

Falcon

Falcon

n3wb
Reaction score
I discovered two reasons why the port wouldn't open.
1. I had BIv4 running as a service so that port always showed as "in use".
2. The ARRIS SBG6700 Cable MODEM has to have the Firewall set to Low to enable Port Forwarding. I had it set to Medium. I'm not comfortable that way but it's my only option ATM.

I hope to set up VPN at some point in the near future but I have to educate myself before I take that plunge.

Falcon