Cannot play BVR clips

Jan135

n3wb
Reaction score
Blue Iris is installed in a windows 7 or 10 (doesn't seem to matter which) on a Ubuntu host. Live view works great. However, I am not able to reliably playback any clips, either through the app, windows laptop using Chrome or a tablet using Chrome. I also cannot playback the file on the BI console. A few clips do play. Most do not. The error is "unable to open file: 80000002" Recording is set to direct to disk.

Any ideas? I thought the native BI encoding was infallible?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Blue Iris is installed in a windows 7 or 10 (doesn't seem to matter which) on a Ubuntu host. Live view works great. However, I am not able to reliably playback any clips, either through the app, windows laptop using Chrome or a tablet using Chrome. I also cannot playback the file on the BI console. A few clips do play. Most do not. The error is "unable to open file: 80000002" Recording is set to direct to disk.

Any ideas? I thought the native BI encoding was infallible?
nothing is infallible, but this is 100 percent user error.
what cameras? ensure that they are NOT recording using h.264+ or h.265+ or "smart codec".
are you recording to Mp4? if so you must install the proper codec..or better yet use BVR! mp4 is a terrible format to use to record surveillance video...
it could also be your unbutu host...install blue iris on a clean windows machine...

Jan135

n3wb
Reaction score
nothing is infallible, but this is 100 percent user error.
what cameras? ensure that they are NOT recording using h.264+ or h.265+ or "smart codec".
are you recording to Mp4? if so you must install the proper codec..or better yet use BVR! mp4 is a terrible format to use to record surveillance video...
it could also be your unbutu host...install blue iris on a clean windows machine...
I am recording using BVR format already.

What do you mean by ensure they are not recording in h.264 format? Which option is that? In BI or the cam itself? I have set my cams to stream via h264 as this is the standard, is it not?

It's just weird because some videos play and not others.
Are all clips in the list supposed to play?

My cameras are a mix bag. 4 hikvision, one axis, an rpi cam, webcams, etc. They all exhibit the same behavior.

(I have no access to windows machines to use as nvr, only virtual!)

Thanks for the reply. I hope we can figure this out!

Jan135

n3wb
Reaction score
Also, are there any log files I can view to see what the actual errors are?

DognamedTank

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had this error, and it was resolved when I turned off the h.264+ or h.265+ encoding (on the camera) and went back to h.264 or h.265 on the cameras. I also had the "limit decoding unless required" selected for those cameras and I turned that off as well.

Jan135

n3wb
Reaction score
Update: the small 10-20 second videos that are generated when motion is detected are still not playable. However, I changed the cut and join option to 1 hour and now I can successfully view these one hour chunks. Just not the smaller clips. Not best but tolerable I suppose.

I had this error, and it was resolved when I turned off the h.264+ or h.265+ encoding (on the camera) and went back to h.264 or h.265 on the cameras. I also had the "limit decoding unless required" selected for those cameras and I turned that off as well.
I will try this and report back. You are able to play the clips that are immediately generated upon motion?

DognamedTank

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, I can play the clip up to the second that I clicked on it if it was recording. The ending will update if I pause and start the clip again. I have my clip combine or cut set to 8 hrs/4 GB.
The "+" and smart codecs create problems in the BI recording because they don't send the same consistent key frame. Also, the new version of BI (4.7.4.0) will show the key frame rate in the status window. Motion detection and recording can be delayed if the key frame per second is less than 1.

If you don't have a consistent key frame, you will have additional problems if you have the "Limit Decoding unless required" selected.

From the BI help file:
The Limit decoding unless required option exists to further assist with CPU management. When enabled with a compatible camera, the software will decode only the video "key frames" (these are full frames, occurring typically once per second), unless all frames are required. All frames are required for recording without "direct to disc" enabled, or when someone is connected to view the live video via browser or client app. In addition, all frames will be decoded when the camera window is displayed full screen. NOTE that only decoded frames are sent to the motion detector--you will need to determine if an adequate number of frames reaches the motion detector if you decide to use this option.​

Last edited:

Jan135

n3wb
Reaction score
buy a 100 dollar i5-3570 windows machines...

So I decided to try BI on a windows 10 pro machine. Nothing virtual.

Same problem!!!

I see images generated after motion. I click the thumbnail and I get "sorry, the file could not be found."

What is the problem? Are these thumbnails even supposed to be playable or are they just images?

Another problem. BI clip database shows 154k. The drive where the video are located has over 1G off video recorded.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So I decided to try BI on a windows 10 pro machine. Nothing virtual.

Same problem!!!

I see images generated after motion. I click the thumbnail and I get "sorry, the file could not be found."

What is the problem? Are these thumbnails even supposed to be playable or are they just images?

Another problem. BI clip database shows 154k. The drive where the video are located has over 1G off video recorded.
The problem is user error.
are you clicking on saved jpeg alert images? or video files?
first, go to each camera and UNCHECK save high res alert images. These are not needed.
Why do you think the database needs to be as large as the recorded video?
also confirm in your camera settings that you are not using a smart codec, h.265+ or h.264+

Jan135

n3wb
Reaction score
The problem is user error.
are you clicking on saved jpeg alert images? or video files?
first, go to each camera and UNCHECK save high res alert images. These are not needed.
Why do you think the database needs to be as large as the recorded video?
also confirm in your camera settings that you are not using a smart codec, h.265+ or h.264+
These images should NOT be populating a list of CLIPS. It's confusing. And the error should not be "file not found," it should show the jpeg in that case.

DognamedTank

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When you say small 10-20 clips, are you referring to the alert images in the clips bar? These just reference a specific alert in the video file (the time will depend on your trigger time). Each of the larger video files can contain multiple of the alerts. If the video file is deleted, the alert will also disappear. The database stores the thumbnails and is an index of the alerts and video clips.

Have you checked if you are using h.264+ or h.265+ encoding on the cameras?

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
These images should NOT be populating a list of CLIPS. It's confusing. And the error should not be "file not found," it should show the jpeg in that case.
stop talking in code. if you want help you need to answer questions posed. You have yet to answer any of them. AND JPEG IMAGES SHOULD BE IN THE TIMELINE IF YOU SET IT SO IN THE SOFTWARE. THE SOFTWARE WILL ONLY DO WHAT YOU TELL IT TO DO. UNCHCECK THAT OPTION.

Last edited:

Babney

n3wb
Reaction score
I had the same problem (Sorry, the file could not be found). My Amcrest wifi cameras worked perfectly but my old Linksys WVC80N and my webcam both would send playable notifications to email and show a thumbnail in clips but wouldn't play the clips on the PC.

You might try:
Camera properties > Record > Video file format and compression > Re-encode with settings (I used H264-H.264/MPEG-4 AVC).

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I had the same problem (Sorry, the file could not be found). My Amcrest wifi cameras worked perfectly but my old Linksys WVC80N and my webcam both would send playable notifications to email and show a thumbnail in clips but wouldn't play the clips on the PC.

You might try:
Camera properties > Record > Video file format and compression > Re-encode with settings (I used H264-H.264/MPEG-4 AVC).
your issue is unrelated and is a result of your cameras are outdated and cannot send an h.264 stream so direct to disk wont work.

Babney

n3wb
Reaction score
Possibly, but I've been using them for over a year and recently started with the "Sorry, the file could not be found".

JBDelux

n3wb
Reaction score
Possibly, but I've been using them for over a year and recently started with the "Sorry, the file could not be found".
I had recently also got that error message in my Windows 10 BI console, iPhone app, and web browser. What I did to fix the issue was by rebuilding the Blue Iris db on the local C:. Alerts were then able to play as normal in the BI console, iPhone app, and web browser.

cobra2

n3wb
Reaction score
I had a sys working fine for yrs, just changed a couple cams from re-encode to D2Disk, started getting this "Sorry.." error.

I resolved by upgrading BI, may have been a bug in 4.7.x.x, 4.8.x seemed to resolve fyi.

svedr

n3wb
Reaction score
I hava same problem with dahua 3Mpix camera.
I change in camera settings :
Encode mode from H.264H ---> H.264
Smart Codec from ON ---> OFF

Now work without problem..........

agrogers

n3wb
Reaction score
I've recently upgraded to a new server and BI5 and now have half my cameras giving the 'Sorry, file not found' error. I had never seen it in version 4. What is weird is how some alert clips play fine and others don't but all alerts are from the *same* camera within a relatively short period of time. I would have expected an encoding error based on the '+' or 'smart' setting of the camera to yield alerts that *never* work. Can anyone shed light on why they sometimes work and sometimes don't?

Anyhow I do think the problem is an encoding error. Most of mine are using the Smart codec because it reduces the bandwidth used by a lot. I will test and report back. I still have my old sever with BI4 on it so I will turn it back on and see if I have the same problem.

Thanks to everyone who has provided advice here.