Cannot view IP camera on hikvision NVR7608

Samee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all I have a hikvision 7608 8 POE port nvr. I have 6 Poe ONVIF 2 compatitable cameras.
My internal network address is 192.168.0.1/24

the IP address on the nvr is 192.168.0.15/24 gateway 192.68.0.1
the internal IPv4 address on the nvr is 192.68.1.1

any IP camera attached to the nvr is in the 192.168.1.x range.

now here is the issue, if I connect the IP cam to myPC I am able to view a live feed, if I attach it to the nvr it detects the protocol ONVIF but there is a triangle which says unknown error.

is there anything I could do to resolve or even troubleshoot this?

i have tried many different things and possible solutions, changed cable, IP address, network address read manual over and over etc, still no solution.

its probably a simple thing which I'm missing out.

any help will greatly be apreshiated.

kind regards
Sam

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
You will need to know the 'ONVIF port' to use in the 'Management port' field in the NVR ONVIF camera configuration. This is usually not the same as the camera's web admin port.
It's very likely that the user manual for your (unspecified) ONVIF cameras doesn't document it - in which case the excellent Windows open-source tool 'ONVIF Device Manager' from sourceforge.net will tell you what you need to know, and lots besides.
You may have to change your PC IP address to one in the address range of the NVR PoE ports, and plug it in to a spare PoE port to allow communications with the cameras also plugged in to the PoE ports.
I'm assuming in this that you have already set the cameras IP address to one that matches the range used by the NVR PoE ports.

The 'ONVIF port' shows in ONVIF Device Manager in the URI at the bottom of the 'Identification' page, after the ':' after the camera IP address.
Use this in the NVR 'Management port' field.

Also - it could be worth noting the RTSP URI at the bottom of the 'Live Video' page in ONVIF Device Manager.
You can use this to add the cameras to the NVR with a custom model (a neat feature of the NVR) using a 'Generic RTSP' selection.

Samee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi thanks for the reply, I have just tried your suggestion and it has worked.

thanks for your help

im trying to set motion detection up, I have followed instructions for then nvr manual and online vids it does not record or sound an alarm when motion is detected, the cam is motion detection capable.

any ideas. I will make a thread on this.

Thanks for your previous help.

kind regards
Sam

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Well done on getting recording working.
See my post on your other thread re the motion detection ...