Can't add any ip camera.

pkbristol

n3wb
Reaction score
Excuse the title, it makes me sound like a complete novice but i'm not.
I've been playing around with ip cameras for a few years, done a few set ups for myself and friends using various cameras, mostly foscam and ipwebcam app on android devices, so obviously i'm familiar with ip addresses, port forwarding etc, however for surveillance on pc i've always used ispy connect, very easy to use but i thought i'd try Blue Iris, i cannot however add a camera to Blue Iris.
I clicked on the add camera icon, which takes me to the network ip camera configuration page,i add the camera ip address (tried with and without the port number), add the username and password etc, select the camera make, ie Foscam, or generic if i'm trying the android cameras, i get nothing, when i hit the ok i go to the camera screen to wait for a feed, nothing, says cam 1 no signal. I'm pulling my hair out here, surely BI can't be this hard to use.
Can anyone advise.
I'm using windows vista, Asus N66 router, various foscam MJPEG and android ip webcam app on android devices. All cameras work fine on ispy and tinycam for viewing on android.

Thanks, Paul.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Throw Foscam MJPEG crap in the bin. It's complete rubbish and you are wasting your time trying to get them to work. They use outrageous amount of bandwidth too, you definitely can't use powerline with them!

You need proper IP cameras that stream H.264

pkbristol

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes i know the Foscam MJPEG aren't the best but they are all working with ispy and tinycam on android, they work fine, and they've been working good for years, some wireless, some mains networked, i just wanted to try Blue Iris.
So i just want to know how to get Blue Iris to show a camera feed.

Thanks, Paul.

pkbristol

n3wb
Reaction score
Firmware ? Of Blue Iris ?
I've been using ispy connect for a few years now so i know that all the cameras work. I just cannot for the life of me get a stream into Blue Iris.
I've tried various times over the last year, uninstalling and reinstalling the latest demo of Blue Iris, purely because people say it's so good, i'm just not seeing that though.

Thanks, Paul.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You need to add the proper camera from the drop down list...

pkbristol

n3wb
Reaction score
I've done all that, for the Foscams i've selected foscam, for the androids i've selected generic. Nothing.

Thanks, Paul.

Vault

n3wb
Reaction score
Firmware ? Of Blue Iris ?
I've been using ispy connect for a few years now so i know that all the cameras work. I just cannot for the life of me get a stream into Blue Iris.
I've tried various times over the last year, uninstalling and reinstalling the latest demo of Blue Iris, purely because people say it's so good, i'm just not seeing that though.

Thanks, Paul.
I know they're working.
I've read more about foscam issues using blue iris. Some of them solved it by downgrading or upgrading the firmware.

pkbristol

n3wb
Reaction score
What about the androids then ? Using an app called ipwebcam. They massively outperform the foscams, i won't be buying any more foscams.

Thanks, Paul.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've done all that, for the Foscams i've selected foscam, for the androids i've selected generic. Nothing.

Thanks, Paul.
yes but you need to select the proper camera...
You cannot simply select generic for andriod...you need to know the correct path....what android app are you using to stream?

pkbristol

n3wb
Reaction score
IP webcam app. I know the correct path, ip address:port/videofeed

In ispy i just add the ip address, port, username, password, then scan, it finds the camera, that's it, done, then i can mess around with framerates, recording settings etc, but the stream is there, working, easy, i can't see why BI is so difficult. I must be missing something.

Thanks, Paul.

Last edited by a moderator:

pkbristol

n3wb
Reaction score
So,top line, address,,, http://ip address:port
User xxxxx Password xxxxx
Make ? not generic then for android ?
Model MJPEG stream, from drop down list.

What else ?

Thanks, Paul.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So,top line, address,,, http://ip address:port
User xxxxx Password xxxxx
Make ? not generic then for android ?
Model MJPEG stream, from drop down list.

What else ?

Thanks, Paul.
enter the ipaddress and port in the proper boxes..
The path should read only /videofeed
Generic...make try both i suggested.