Can't connect from WAN

revbilly

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
System was working fine before HD failure. Installed new drive and same OS as before - Windows 10. No changes to network or router since it was working. Port forwarding still configured in router as before. Exception for executable set up in firewall and anti-virus.

I can access locally using WAN IP address and port, but not when outside LAN.

I went through the Wizard and everything checks out until the final remote access test at the end. There must be a setting in BI that I'm missing, because the router config hasn't changed.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
You lost me at port forwarding.

Seriously take a look at VPN threads and fix your WAN access problem the best way, based on solid guidance lying around on these forums. Port Forwarding is the enemy, do not trust it, do not use it, do not count on it, expect to get stabbed in the back by it.

revbilly

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You lost me at port forwarding.

Seriously take a look at VPN threads and fix your WAN access problem the best way, based on solid guidance lying around on these forums. Port Forwarding is the enemy, do not trust it, do not use it, do not count on it, expect to get stabbed in the back by it.
----------------

I live in a very rural area, and I have minimal bandwidth. Otherwise, I would be using VPN.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
----------------

I live in a very rural area, and I have minimal bandwidth. Otherwise, I would be using VPN.
vpn uses minimal bandwidth...
the ip of your BI machine changed or the webserver port is not the same as the old machine/router config.

revbilly

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
vpn uses minimal bandwidth...
the ip of your BI machine changed or the webserver port is not the same as the old machine/router config.
---------
IP on BI machine is same as before. Local links still work. Webserver port is 8081, same as before. Note- I can get to it from a local machine using my router's WAN address and port 8081. I'm probably missing something obvious.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
---------
IP on BI machine is same as before. Local links still work. Webserver port is 8081, same as before. Note- I can get to it from a local machine using my router's WAN address and port 8081. I'm probably missing something obvious.
disable the firewall and test.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I to have issues with WAN access, I perform the Web server setup but it fails at the end and doesn't provide any help. So I'm here asking how to pass all the settings in the wizard?

My home router is a HUAWEI B310 4G wireless. I have opened many ports on it but still the wizard fails.
you need to start a new thread as your issue is not related to the OP. Its related to using 4g wireless. See other threads on this topic.

revbilly

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
disable the firewall and test.
------------
Thanks for your help. It was an oversight. I forgot to set the ethernet connection of the newly configured pc to Private. Damn, that one's bit me a few times before!

Rednick69

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
----------------

I used to port forward each service I needed but now I use VPN. Using those same services over a VPN connection seem to be much more responsive. I have 1mbps upload on a great day.

revbilly

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I used to port forward each service I needed but now I use VPN. Using those same services over a VPN connection seem to be much more responsive. I have 1mbps upload on a great day.
If it was just a matter of bandwidth I'd probably go with VPN, but I also have a monthly data limit. The overhead for VPN would make that limit even more restrictive. In any case, it's all working just fine, now that I woke up and changed the network type on my new BI server.

ksnax

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just spent 2 hours pulling my hair out over the same issue. Sometimes I REALLY HATE WINDOWS!

How it ever gets reset to public just because the IP address changes is just ludicrous with being on the same LAN. That said, I'll be looking into VPN now that everything is at least working as expected again.