Can't connect to server when on cellular

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
First let me say networking is definitely not my strong suit so I may need detailed help.

I'm running the latest version of BI, the official BI app and using a separate modem & router. I ran the Remote Access Wizard and get all green check marks. I'm able to view my camera via PC software and web browser. I can connect to the server via WiFi using the BI app on both my iPad & Android phone. So far so good.

Now if I turn off my WiFi and try to connect via cellular on my phone using the BI app it always says it can't connect to the server. My iPad is WiFi version only so can't experiment with cellular.

Is this a simple setting I need to change to connect via cellular using BI app?

Thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
First let me say networking is definitely not my strong suit so I may need detailed help.

I'm running the latest version of BI, the official BI app and using a separate modem & router. I ran the Remote Access Wizard and get all green check marks. I'm able to view my camera via PC software and web browser. I can connect to the server via WiFi using the BI app on both my iPad & Android phone. So far so good.

Now if I turn off my WiFi and try to connect via cellular on my phone using the BI app it always says it can't connect to the server. My iPad is WiFi version only so can't experiment with cellular.

Is this a simple setting I need to change to connect via cellular using BI app?

Thanks!
What port is your webserver set to? go to canyouseeme.org and see if that port shows open.

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well this is confusing to me because canyouseeme.org says:
Error: I could not see your service on XXXXXXXXXXon port (80)

When I go thru the Remote Access Wizard though it says I am using Port 81. So what does this all mean?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well this is confusing to me because canyouseeme.org says:
Error: I could not see your service on XXXXXXXXXXXXon port (80)

When I go thru the Remote Access Wizard though it says I am using Port 81. So what does all this mean?
on the website, where it says port to check, enter 81
I have edited your post to remove the ipaddresss..you dont want to post your external ip publicly.

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok
Success: I can see your service on XXXXXXXXX on port (81)
Your ISP is not blocking port 81

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok
Success: I can see your service on XXXXXXXXX on port (81)
Your ISP is not blocking port 81
I redacted your ip. Dont post it, its not secure. ...that means you have something set incorrectly on the app. Are you entering the ipaddress in the app or did you enter your license code to have blue iris do it for you?

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well I guess the full version. I first downloaded the trial and then purchased and registered the license in the trial version.

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It doesn't change anything I still can't connect to server via cellular just WiFi.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It doesn't change anything I still can't connect to server via cellular just WiFi.
I personally dont use blue iris's dynamic dns service..so im not sure if the ip auto populates in the app or not. What happens when you hit get ips? Does it confirm that it worked? if not make sure you entered the correct registration info.

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Fenderman I just discovered something interesting. In the app if I make sure I'm logged out and try to connect it says it cannot connect to the server. If I tap on Edit, 'Update Home Security', and then 'Connect' it will go ahead and connect to the server.

I tried logging out after connecting and then connecting again but it wouldn't connect without me tapping the Update Home security again... then it will connect.

A third time doing this it connected on it's own without doing any extra steps.

Strange oh well I think we got it working! Thanks!!

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nope now it's back to making me tap on the Update Home Security. Seems like it can't remember settings or something.

Most of the time I have to tap the Connect button after opening the app since it rarely auto connects like it's checked to do and does on WiFi. Then sometimes tapping Update Home Security button but sometimes not required.

Guess it's not something I can't work around at least I can now connect via cellular.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You likely named your blue iris server, "home security" so the button updates any changes to login info...not sure why you would need to do that. Make sure you are running the latest version.
You can always manually enter the ip address or better yet sign up for a dynamic dns service.

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah I forgot I did name it that.

I always keep Blue Iris software up to date and I'm not aware of any new app updates but I always try to keep them updated too.

Is it complicated to sign up for a dynamic dns service?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah I forgot I did name it that.

I always keep Blue Iris software up to date and I'm not aware of any new app updates but I always try to keep them updated too.

Is it complicated to sign up for a dynamic dns service?
Disable auto update. You should do it manually after an update has been out for a few days. There are some free services like no-ip.com however they may force you to login once a month.
You can use your router, pc application made by the provider, or the dynamic dns updater in blue iris tools to keep the info updated.
https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/198-Blue-Iris-Tools-Weather-Overlay-Watchdog-amp-more!