Can't get Dahua NVR to email a photo

cosmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to configure the Dahua NVR settings so that when an event is triggered like a line crossing or intrusion, the email that gets sent out has an image attached to it?

The email notifications are coming through fine. I just can't see where tell it to send a photo. I've attached an image of the remote web interface. The setting "Snapshot" looked promising. It allows you to select 1 or more cameras. I have one selected. It isn't working.

I have a Dahua 5208-8P-4KS2 8 port POE NVR.

Attachments

cosmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I changed some settings and some, but not all, events are coming through via email with attachments. It is not clear how to set this up in the interface.

Under "Storage", "Schedule", "Record", the default out of the box is "Regular", recording 24x7 on each channel with a camera connected. In "Event", "IVS", I added tripwire and intrusion detection for various cameras. Thinking that I might have to do something in "Schedule", "Record" to get these noted, I went back there and added "IVS" to the schedule. I then read somewhere (I think in one of the links above), that I needed to add "Alarm" as well (See attached). But that didn't give me the photo. I went into the next tab, "Snapshot", and added "Regular", "Alarm" and "IVS" to this and now I am getting photos.

It's as clear as mud. I wish there was a chapter in the manual that gave you a checklist of things that needed to be set to achieve common goals such as sending you a photo when there's an intrusion. I am finding it more trial and error, which is hard when the cameras are on another continent. Such seems to be the norm on documentation with Chinese surveillance equipment. But it is all grey market imports, so I don't expect much.

Attachments

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
For all the hoopla getting this to work for me back when, I turned it off soon after. The emailed image was useless to me. I have snapshot enabled for certain cameras but I no longer have email notifications enabled in general let alone with a snapshot. Ymmv.

cosmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For all the hoopla getting this to work for me back when, I turned it off soon after. The emailed image was useless to me. I have snapshot enabled for certain cameras but I no longer have email notifications enabled in general let alone with a snapshot. Ymmv.
Yes, I agree. Motion, line crossing, intrusion detection, email notifications and photos - it's a bit of a black art.

At one site with HikVision equipment, I really need to know who and when people are arriving and leaving, so I need a photo sent to me. I have found motion useful only to show it in the playback time line so I can scan through part of a day. Otherwise I never use it for notifications. Too many false positives. I use line crossing for that site and I aim it at part of a door that usually triggers with high sensitivity. But you really want a light to be on in the daytime all the time, otherwise shadows through clouds can give false positives. I have a backup camera on the other side of the door just in case, but with no notifications because every time someone comes into the lobby, the lights go on, even if they don't go through that door.

So indoor can be set up to be pretty accurate so long as you don't have a shadow problem.

Outside, boy, that's another matter. Bugs, dust, spiders, infrared heat, trees, leaves. It's a nightmare. Forget motion. Forget line crossing sometimes. I have to go for intrusion detection, which burns more cycles, but it eliminates some false positives. Right now though, at the second site, I have 5 cameras and set up triggers on 4 of them, doors etc. But to be honest, I could probably get away with triggers on just one camera - the driveway. But that part of the house seems to be a magnet for bugs and spiders. I'm getting bombarded by false positives. Of course the Infrared on the camera doesn't help.

So yeah, maybe it is a matter of put a camera with a trigger inside the house and leave the outside cameras to just record in the hope of getting a good look at your stuff as they haul it away.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Cosmo,

Something you said caught my attention, specifically, comparing trip wire to intrusion zone.
Forget line crossing sometimes. I have to go for intrusion detection, which burns more cycles, but it eliminates some false positives.
What "cycles" are you referring to? cpu cycles of the processor in the cam? I hadn't heard until now that one IVS function (intrusion zone) consumes more microprocessor cycles than another IVS function (trip wire)

How does one check how many cycles a feature consumes?

Maybe the burden on the processor is related to more than tripwire vs intrusion? For intrusion, are you using "Action" of "Cross" or "Appear"?

upload_2017-3-21_17-24-30.png

upload_2017-3-21_17-26-2.png

I'm very curious. I use both tripwire and intrusion zone on some cams.
And with the sun finally making more appearances here in rainy & overcast Seattle, the number of false IVS alerts has gone up (both tripwire and intrusion zone).
Bottom line: IVS isn't as immune to false alarms as last year, IIRC. I'm not sure why. Maybe I'm overburdening the processor, and the hamsters running on their wheel get frustrated.

Fastb

cosmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What "cycles" are you referring to? cpu cycles of the processor in the cam? I hadn't heard until now that one IVS function (intrusion zone) consumes more microprocessor cycles than another IVS function (trip wire)

How does one check how many cycles a feature consumes?

Maybe the burden on the processor is related to more than tripwire vs intrusion? For intrusion, are you using "Action" of "Cross" or "Appear"?
The camera *should* process the motion/tripwire/intrusion detection/<whatever> request, even if your camera is plugged into a PoE port of the NVR and you are setting up the camera through the NVR's software. That said, how NVR's and cameras work together is the subject of many a thread and a lot of frustration. Even if you have the same brand of NVR and camera, the constant flow of new devices, firmware upgrades and features means that whatever documentation you have for your NVR may work differently with one camera vs. another. It's a clusterf**k of combinations and permutations. If the NVR and camera are a different brand, good luck. In that case, if you can get, say, motion, it *may* be that the NVR processes it. It's just so hard to say. But it should be the camera.

Surveillance device companies (Hik, Dahua) are notorious for poor documentation on how you are supposed to achieve something, instead just documenting what some buttons in the interface do. No sooner than the manual is produced, the firmware changes. And the right hand doesn't talk to the left. One software development team for the camera software, another for the NVR. It's incredibly frustrating and a pet peeve of mine. But hey, you (sort of) get what you pay for.

On the actual cpu usage for different functions, it makes sense that intrusion detection is going to chew more cycles than motion detection, which may or may not chew more cycles than line crossing. With line crossing, the cpu will be looking at pixels on the line for a certain percentage of change (remembering that even with an indoor camera in a well lit, enclosed area like a doorway, the pixels will change color ever so slightly, but constantly, and there can be a lot in a hi res image). But it also has to look at the pixels around the line to determine which direction the crossing comes in. Bigger line? More work. For motion detection, only the specified area has to be considered, but it might be more pixels because an area is a lot bigger than a line. For intrusion, there's more work again. A certain percentage of the area has to change and maybe there are thresholds to cross.

So yeah, a really big intrusion detection area is going to take more to process than a small line crossing. But there are all sorts of algorithms out there that have optimized the crap out of the calculations so that in terms of complexity it's logarithmic O(log N), i.e. you make the area 10 times bigger but it only takes a little more time. Depends on the geeks that wrote it.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Also, if you're getting the email notifications but no attached photo it could be your email provider too. My cable service provider email address (which I use as mostly a dumpster for years since gmail) would not pass through the attached pics but gmail did. If you have multiple email providers, try a couple and see. This is assuming you have every setting know to man enabled in software that should suggest you're set up properly for the attached snapshot.

cosmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I got about 30 notifications and only 2 had a photo. Dahua and their triple email notification. Drives me crazy. Like others, I've turned the damn thing off. And it is gmail.

You wonder about the program managers. If they've ever siphoned through all the notifications for a real world 10 camera system that's trying to detect entry into a building and seen how crappy their approach is.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I got about 30 notifications and only 2 had a photo.
For every event, I always get two emails without snapshots -- one marking the start of the event, and one marking the end. In between those two emails, I get emails with snapshots.

I ended up writing a gmail rule to automatically delete any emails coming from my camera that didn't have an attachment.

DoqtorNo

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry for jumping in late, but up until recently my NVR has stopped sending images and snapshots during the day. At night, no problem, i get wayyy more than what is asked for as the rest of you have mentioned. Any ideas? I changed the threshold and sensitivity thinking that would start my day triggers again but to no avail.

beingaware

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sorry for jumping in late, but up until recently my NVR has stopped sending images and snapshots during the day. At night, no problem, i get wayyy more than what is asked for as the rest of you have mentioned. Any ideas? I changed the threshold and sensitivity thinking that would start my day triggers again but to no avail.
Adjust your contrast levels, IVS really needs good contrast to detect movement, thus triggering your rules to send to E-MAIL.

Kerry123

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the exact same issue with a Dahua NVR4204, updated to latest firmware 3.216 (which fixed a lot of other issues)

- Using: Video detection/Motion detection/send email tick box: works perfectly, I get an email with a photo attached every time
- Using: IVS/Tripwire/Trigger/Send email AND Snapshot ticked: results in an email with no attachment

For the motion detection I use Sensitivity 20 / Threshold 31, as it is an outdoor area with moving shadows from trees etc. It works pretty well, but not perfect ofc as I still get the odd false alarm. It picks up human movement very well on these settings though.
The annoying fact is that the photo sent is a few seconds AFTER the trigger, so if a bird flutters around the camera for a second your photo does not show that.

Almost forgot to add, I tried Fastb's tip re scheduling, and it worked perfectly, tripwire emails now include snapshots!

Last edited:

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I first tried email snapshots recently. As noted a few times above, sometimes the snapshot is attached, and sometimes it isn't. I finally decided it uses a "random behavior algorithm" and resigned myself to being happy that it works some of the time.

warthog99

n3wb
Reaction score
I had tried the suggestions above and had pretty much given up hope on receiving a snapshot via email with motion detection.
However, I happened to stumble on the solution myself, and it works quite reliably now.

The key for me was to use the Android DMSS app. For some reason I could not get it configured via the NVR or the Web UI

On the DMSS app
1. Select the camera in question
2. Go the "settings" by hitting the gear icon in the top right corner
3. Select "Remote Configuration"
4. Select "Video Detection"
5. Select "Motion Detection", then enable Advance Configuration
6. At the bottom, enable "snapshot" and confirm it's taking a picture of the appropriate Channel - my initial settings were taking a snapshot of the wrong channel

I'm not sure why this was successful with the app vs. NVR/WebUI. In any case, it works now!

syslog

n3wb
Reaction score
I had tried the suggestions above and had pretty much given up hope on receiving a snapshot via email with motion detection.
However, I happened to stumble on the solution myself, and it works quite reliably now.

The key for me was to use the Android DMSS app. For some reason I could not get it configured via the NVR or the Web UI

On the DMSS app
1. Select the camera in question
2. Go the "settings" by hitting the gear icon in the top right corner
3. Select "Remote Configuration"
4. Select "Video Detection"
5. Select "Motion Detection", then enable Advance Configuration
6. At the bottom, enable "snapshot" and confirm it's taking a picture of the appropriate Channel - my initial settings were taking a snapshot of the wrong channel

I'm not sure why this was successful with the app vs. NVR/WebUI. In any case, it works now!
Never give up. :)

I had a similar problem. This interface is very frustrating as there are so many places for seemingly the same thing and you need to navigate through so many menus to achieve what you want. Even more complex now with the "Alarm" vs "AI" alerting. I think someone needs to step back and design it from scratch.

My issue was that I did not have snapshots enabled under Storage -> Record Mode -> Snapshots. I had some turned on and some turned off. I turned them all on now.

chicoDaMan

n3wb
Reaction score
My issue was that I did not have snapshots enabled under Storage -> Record Mode -> Snapshots. I had some turned on and some turned off. I turned them all on now.
Wow, been banging my head on this one. Figured it couldn't be done....then found this post...THANKS!