Can't remotely access camera with Smart PSS

IP Netman

n3wb
Reaction score
I brought a Dahua IPC-HFW4631H-ZSA to trial how good it is.
I have initialised the camera and created a static ip for the network but can't access it with Smart PSS using the created user accounts or root account.
It works fine with the IDMSS Iphone app using the user accounts.
Any Idea appreciated?

Every other Dahua camera on the same network works fine remotely.

Maat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are you trying to access it from the same network or from remote location / internet? When you access it via IDMSS is it via P2P (cloud) or via local or external IP address, using vpn or not?
In order to help you some more information and clarification is needed.

Last edited:

IP Netman

n3wb
Reaction score
The camera is on a different network.
It’s connected to a CPE wireless client using PtP. The PtP Access point is on a 4G cellular modem with several other cameras wired to the Lan on the 4G modem.
When im trying to add the device into Smart Pss I’m using the camera serial number and login details but for some reason Smart Pss won’t accept the serial number.
I don’t understand why the same details work on the iDMSS app but not Smart Pss windows platform.
Both are using P2P via serial number.

Maat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Interesting. So the same SmartPSS sees other cameras in the same remote place but can't see that one particular camera and doesn't accept it's serial number? Can you confirm that?
Please recheck that there is no error in typing in the serial number. Have you tried installing latest SmartPSS, maybe that one camera requires latest version of SmartPSS. Maybe it is accessed via some other p2p server which isn't listed in the config of older app. I'm just guessing here, but it might be the case.
Have you tried resetting the camera setting and configuring from scratch, or maybe just disabling and enabling p2p in camera itself.

Also I have to say that accessing cameras thorugh P2P services is very risky security wise and should be avoided. Is there an option for you to setup vpn server at camera location and access the site and cameras through vpn? that would be preferable to p2p setup.

IP Netman

n3wb
Reaction score
I can confirm.
Also tried new DSS client software but didn’t work.
I’m not worried about security as it’s Only watching an asset with nothing sensitive to show.

Maat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It still seems to me like it might be serial number error. If p2p is turned on and one app detects camera, the other should too.
Or on the desktop computer is some rule blocking the app from contacting the p2p servers, maybe it's firewall /antivirus issue. Please check if your antivirus and or firewall is blocking the app connection. Is it desktop pc or notebook? It may be worth to try connecting that computer to different network (via wifi / hotspot maybe) and try adding the camera in SmartPSS then. If it's notebook it should be very easy to connect it to other internet gateway / network.

Regarding security, it's not just that someone other may be able to access the video streams, someone may hack and compromise them in such a way as to make them platforms for attacking other devices on the same network and internet too.
Please read this excellent post from Nayr:

Last edited:

Raptown

n3wb
Reaction score
I believe Netman type P2P SN correctly, Ive installed more than 300 servers and did have the same problem with a few of these P2P connecting ONLY through DMS but not from PSS. Firewalls and AV completely down.....Its still a mystery to me. I ve also managed networks for 20 years but couldnt find any logic in this Dahua problem. Has anyone done any research on this?

gr.Egor

n3wb
Reaction score
I am having the same problem. I have more than 300 DVRs and the SmartPSS black UI (ver 2.003.0000004.0.R.201021) does not have p2p access to some of them. But SmartPSS with the gray UI (ver 1.13.1) connects to the same DVR.
It looks like a bug in the new version of the program.
I wrote an email about this issue to Dahua, but they didn’t reply to it

Attachments

Raptown

n3wb
Reaction score
Well...still dont know what the problrm is with v2.003.00001.
It WORKS FINE with gdmss/idmss.
Did lots of research with sharkwire, dont loose your time, its a huge bug Dahua doesnt care to solve

radunre

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the same problem, still not being able to solve.
Older cameras (bought 2-3 years before) are showing online in SmartPSS, newer ones are not. It is only about cameras connected through P2P.
DMSS sees all of them but I need a PC app as well.
SmartPSS is not complaining about serial number, all data is accepted while adding procedure but cameras are still offline.

Interesting fact, all working cameras have a serial number starting with 5...
Non working cameras have a serial number starting with 6...

Last edited:

luk2009

n3wb
Reaction score
I used an address from dyndns and I have manually configured and enabled the unpn in the camera setup
and I can see the cameras remotely from smartpss

Last edited:

lawdawg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I believe Netman type P2P SN correctly, Ive installed more than 300 servers and did have the same problem with a few of these P2P connecting ONLY through DMS but not from PSS. Firewalls and AV completely down.....Its still a mystery to me. I ve also managed networks for 20 years but couldnt find any logic in this Dahua problem. Has anyone done any research on this?
Same issue for me. I have several NVRs and access them remotely via p2p using GDMSS and SmartPSS. One NVR will not connect in SmartPss but has no problem in the mobile app (GDMSS). Same SN same login credentials. ???

lawdawg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Interesting fact, all working cameras have a serial number starting with 5...
Non working cameras have a serial number starting with 6...
That is an interesting fact radunre. I looked at the three NVRs I am having trouble with after reading your post and all of them have serial numbers starting with 6 AND those three are the only NVRs I have that start with 6. I have a total of 11 NVRs connected to SmartPSS. The rest are 5s and 7s and they all work fine on both platforms. It is weird that you are talking about individual cameras not connecting and I am dealing with NVRs not connecting... Does the leading number of a serial number have any significance across product categories? What does that tell us? Anything at all?