Can't send email without using IP address

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If I enter smtp.gmail.com, it doesn't work. If I ping the IP address from smtp.gmail.com and enter that in the server address, it works fine. Obviously that's just a short term fix since googles smtp server address changes from time to time.

Also, even with the IP address directly used, it doesn't work if I have the camera set to static vs DHCP.

The Hikvision cameras all work just fine set to static and using smtp.gmail.com in the server field.

Any ideas?

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Check the DNS settings in the camera.
If it's set to your router, try the Google DNS of 8.8.8.8 and 4.4.4.4

That suggests the DNS settings are not valid.
DHCP will assign a DNS server.
You misunderstood. It doesn't even work with DHCP unless I enter the IP address manually. If I switch to static IP it doesn't work at all no matter what.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
You misunderstood
No, I didn't.
The assigned DHCP DNS value (likely to be the DNS relay in your router) may not work for that camera / firmware revision.
And if you set the camera to a statc IP address - what DNS value did you use?
If none, that would explain the problem.

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Odd. So when it's set to static, the DNS address are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 which doesn't work. As soon as I set to DHCP, it changes the DNS addresses to 192.168.1.1 which doesn't work. But if I enter 8.8.8.8 and override it, it does work but NOT when set to static. Nothing I do will get it to work on static. There are other threads on this with no resolution ever found so far.