Car Almost Hit Me

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Out for my morning walk last Sunday and was crossing the street to my house when I almost got ran down. I have plenty of cameras to record the action but this one gives the best overall view. By the way the main purpose of this camera is to the watch the cars in the driveway. From a couple of my other cameras I was able to get a license plate if I wanted to use it. The lady driving was headed right for me. One more thing, at the start I am in the upper left of the picture and out of sight in the beginning.

Here is another view. Let's see if this works. The purpose of this camera is to catch what is happening on this part of the street and catch license plates.

Last edited:

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
She didn't appear to be distracted from what I was able to see. No cellphone anyway. Just your everyday average space cadet. At least she waved.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I spent almost 30 years working on traffic signals in Northern CA in the Silicon Valley and the fact that I am still alive is 1) by the grace of God and 2) my head was on a swivel at all times and I never turned my back on anyone. I can also say the worse offenders are 19 to 30 year old women. If that sounds misogynistic, sorry but no apology here...that's my own, qualified experience, not just an opinion. They are on a mission, they're running late, they're thinking about everything else that they have experienced that day up to that point and hardly on what they are doing at that moment: controlling a 5,000 lb. vehicle at 35 to 60 MPH in close proximity to others trying to do the same. And the parking lots at malls are even MORE challenging!

Great videos, @Parley but may I make a suggestion? All those various video editors that I and others suggested to you when you asked earlier (in this thread)...any one of them will likely trim those videos before you upload to YouTube. If you omit the first 30 seconds of that 60 second video and get right to what you're wanting to impart to the viewer you might get their attention sooner and keep it.

Last edited:

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
IGreat videos, @Parley but may I make a suggestion? All those various video editors that I and others suggested to you when you asked earlier (in this thread)...any one of them will likely trim those videos before you upload to YouTube. If you omit the first 30 seconds of that 60 second video and get right to what you're wanting to impart to the viewer you might get their attention sooner and keep it.
youtube also has a "trim" function when you edit the video.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
youtube also has a "trim" function when you edit the video.
Thanks for that, I didn't know about that feature. I can now suggest that to folks that ask 'how to' and cannot or won't edit offline.
I trim before upload because of my DISMAL upload speed: 512K up. Yep, that's not a typo, 512K.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey, @mlapaglia, please indulge me for a sec..your first name wouldn't happen to be 'Mike' and you were aboard the U.S.S Hancock CVA-19 circa '68 to '72, were you?

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sorry, nope :( He does use my email address to sign up for stuff though..

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Out for my morning walk last Sunday and was crossing the street to my house when I almost got ran down. I have plenty of cameras to record the action but this one gives the best overall view. By the way the main purpose of this camera is to the watch the cars in the driveway. From a couple of my other cameras I was able to get a license plate if I wanted to use it. The lady driving was headed right for me. One more thing, at the start I am in the upper left of the picture and out of sight in the beginning.
I see the problem. She was driving on the wrong side of the road, and the steering wheel in her car was on the wrong side too. it's a wonder she can drive at all :D

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I actually got hit by a car once, I don't recommend it.
Dang, didn't get hit but did have to handwalk across the hood and fender at least twice that I recall when legally crossing in a signalized pedestrian crosswalk. One I recall I had the white 'walking man', looked both ways and half way across a woman about ran me down...didn't even see me, clear day, I was wearing an orange vest. This was in front of HP's main office in Palo Alto, CA, circa '90 so she wasn't on a cell phone...just not paying attention. This was after working on a traffic signal issue there and like I said in my post yesterday, I was aware of where I was and where the cars were. I slapped her fender with my palm as she passed within inches hard enough to scare the $hit out her; she pulled over and stopped, rolled down the window and with a pale face and wide eyes, apologized. I said 'OK', made my point and perhaps she learned a lesson.

RobertM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The "All hat and No Cattle" expression was new to me until I moved to the rural South. Some of my homegrown co-workers grew up working with livestock and could sniff out posers wearing cowboy boots and hats. I get the joke but since I'm a Yankee I don't get to laugh.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The "All hat and No Cattle" expression was new to me until I moved to the rural South. Some of my homegrown co-workers grew up working with livestock and could sniff out posers wearing cowboy boots and hats. I get the joke but since I'm a Yankee I don't get to laugh.
Aw, go ahead and laugh. IMO, down here in the South we're more likely to overlook / welcome a Yankee's appreciation of that kind of humor than the Yankees are of us enjoying their brand of humor when we're up North...but that's OK, too. Funny is funny.. it doesn't (or "don't" as said down here) matter who you are or where you're from.

Last edited: