Car Scratcher

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
One of our customer's called us last week to see if we could find out how their ZL-1 Camaro, that was on the showroom floor, got a big scratch in the fender. This is what we found after a few minutes of searching. Apparently this guy had filled out paperwork with his info on it because the guys at the dealership knew who he was. I'll update this once I get some more info. These are 2mp HD-CVI dome cameras that are running at 15 frames per second

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
One of our customer's called us last week to see if we could find out how their ZL-1 Camaro, that was on the showroom floor, got a big scratch in the fender. This is what we found after a few minutes of searching. Apparently this guy had filled out paperwork with his info on it because the guys at the dealership knew who he was. I'll update this once I get some more info.
I hope they nail his ass with a BIG repair bill and once he's paid that THEN take him to civil court. Dickhead.
Good stuff, @bababouy , keep us in the loop!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
One of our customer's called us last week to see if we could find out how their ZL-1 Camaro, that was on the showroom floor, got a big scratch in the fender...These are 2mp HD-CVI dome cameras that are running at 15 frames per second
Wow.

Thanks for Sharing Bababouy,

Curious after seeing cases like this if "management" is more agreeable to upgrading their security camera system.

What are you seeing as the minimal requirements in terms of camera quality for replacements and/or new installs.

I've been telling people to go no less than 1080p for home security cameras. ( some still want to get the cheapest they can afford )

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
WTF is he thinking? If I scratch the car maybe they'll sell it to me for less?
Some people are really oblivious to the presence of security cameras.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
Hmmmm just dont think he is right in the head TBH
After talking to the manager, he said this guy is not all there. He was talking to himself and may have had tourettes. He was in the week prior and his wife bought a car from this dealership. The guy was back on this day trying to work a deal on another vehicle for himself, so the sales guys had his info. After sending them this clip, they called the guy in and told him that he needed to cough up enough dough to cover the damages and the amount of profit that they were going to lose on the car. Apparently, when they do sell this car, they have to disclose that it had previous damage and they will probably have to sell it at cost. The manager had the cops waiting in the showroom when the guy came in and told him pay for the damages or they were going to press charges. The guy ended up writing a check for $4000 to cover damages and profit loss. Kind of an expensive mistake.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the follow up with us fellow forum members, @bababouy !

Now that's what I call a good outcome. And it's a great example to show existing clients and especially prospective clients that a well-planned and properly executed camera installation with quality cameras at the right locations can literally 'pay for itself'. You can install quite a system for even less than that $4K they stood to lose had they not had the proof.

The icing on MY cake would be that he (Tourettes or not) was notified in writing AND told to not come onto the property again, that his wife could handle any future business concerning her car.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for the follow up with us fellow forum members, @bababouy !

Now that's what I call a good outcome. And it's a great example to show existing clients and especially prospective clients that a well-planned and properly executed camera installation with quality cameras at the right locations can literally 'pay for itself'. You can install quite a system for even less than that $4K they stood to lose had they not had the proof.

The icing on MY cake would be that he (Tourettes or not) was notified in writing AND told to not come onto the property again, that his wife could handle any future business concerning her car.
From what the manager tells me, the guy has bought quite a few cars there. It was hard for them to even trespass the guy. This is a good example of a camera system paying for itself. This company had no cameras before we started with them, let alone cameras inside the showroom. The cameras alone have saved this customer way more than the camera system in just one year. They always have customers dropping their cars off and saying that they were damaged while being serviced. It usually turns out that the car came in damaged.

Snapper30

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Never too old to be an A$$hole. I like how he wiped the area off after he scratched the fender... Glad they could ID him and good advertising for your company.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Good outcome. I'm surprised they disclosed the damage though. In the UK, which often has much stricter laws than the US for consumer protection, pre-delivery damage to new cars doesn't have to be disclosed. Apparently many vehicles suffer dents or scratches during delivery etc and they're simply repaired.

All they need now are some 4K cameras to get better recognition. I'm going to guess the showroom is lit at night so low light capabilities are less important inside than pixels.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Good outcome. I'm surprised they disclosed the damage though. In the UK, which often has much stricter laws than the US for consumer protection, pre-delivery damage to new cars doesn't have to be disclosed. Apparently many vehicles suffer dents or scratches during delivery etc and they're simply repaired.
It does have to be disclosed...us consumer protection laws are very strong.. search consumer fraud act.. every state has their own analog...

RobertM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My guess is the muscle car symbolized a lifestyle no longer available to him and he felt compelled to injure that symbol. For a guy that walked like Mr Magoo and appeared feeble, his crime required a precise application of physical coordination and strength. That scratch needed shoulder strength to dig through the paint with a nearly straight arm and torso strength to apply that awkward force while his body carriage appeared casual. His body weight shifted subtly to apply the sideways force and his social engineering covered his actions neatly. He probably pinches babies to make them cry then walks away while smiling and tipping his hat.

GSMarquis

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looks like that camera paid for itself. Why on Earth would someone do this is beyond me. Door dings piss me off in the worst way, but being completely deliberate in doing damage.....the worst kind of person.

Matt L.

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I found it rather a smooth gesture as he had rag. He should of looked at the car as he approached it, not away. That gave him. I just look out for the little guy...