Car Spinning Donuts On The Corner

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Looks like a Miata?
Convertible.
The guy installed a roll cage at least.
I'd give him about a 4
I taught performance driving at local race tracks for years. One drill was "Controlled Oversteer", where the driver must have the rear end hung out while going 360 degrees around a traffic cone. The car would point to cone as the car did a 360, circling the cone. Too much rear wheel spin, the car would come around. (spin out). Too little, and the back end would fall in line, and the driver would hit the cone.
It's trickier than it might seem.

Yeah, I'd give this a guy a "4" for technique. He's a beginner drifter at best. Maybe a "7" for safety (roll cage). I couldn't see if he (or she) had a 4 or 5 point harness, or was wearing a helmet.

Lulu, at least the recently dropped road debris wasn't in the road anymore! And the front plate matched the rear plate!

Last edited:

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Hardly a day goes by without something happening on your corner. Hahahaha Not sure but I thought I saw a roll bar in the car.

lulu5kamz

Known around here
Reaction score
Looks like a Miata?
Convertible.

I taught performance driving at local race tracks for years. One drill was "Controlled Oversteer", where the driver must have the rear end hung out while going 360 degrees around a traffic cone. The car would point to cone as the car did a 360, circling the cone. Too much rear wheel spin, the car would come around. (spin out). Too little, and the back end would fall in line, and the driver would hit the cone.

Yeah, I'd give this a guy for technique. Maybe a 7 for safety (roll cage). I couldn't see if he (or she) had a 4 or 5 point harness, or was wearing a helmet.

Lulu, at least the recently dropped road debris wasn't in the road anymore! And the front plate matched the rear plate!
Actually, I never got a clean image of the rear license plate. It appeared to have some type of clear cover. Even when the rear plate was pointed directly at both my LPR cameras it was not 100% clear. So I ended up using a frame from each LPR camera of the front plate and merging them together at the end of the video. You can see part of the pop up headlight in each image. I noticed the roll bar too. The driver appeared to be wearing a baseball type cap.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
This corner needs to win a Guinness World Record for something.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Looks like a Miata?
Convertible.

Yeah, I'd give this a guy for technique. Maybe a 7 for safety (roll cage). I couldn't see if he (or she) had a 4 or 5 point harness, or was wearing a helmet.

Indeed!

I did a fair amount of road racing back in Texas in the late 90's-2002. NASA and SCCA, mostly a lot of track weekends at Motorsports Ranch. We were all driving big heavy Fbodies, but had fun hanging with the Beemers and Porsche club guys... Sure do miss that.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
This all reminds me: The new season of "The Grand Tour" should be starting up in early November. ;)

archedraft

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This happened last night just before midnight.

Out of curiosity, does every time someone turns that corner at night, do the headlights cause an alert? Or do you want to have your cameras make an alert every time a car comes by?

I just recently put up an outside camera for the first time and am slowly learning about zones and zone crossing . I’ve been able to set my zones so that I get far less headlight alarms but there are still a dozen or so alerts that get set off. I’m hesitant to reduce the zone crossing too much more because I would hate to miss a person creeping in my yard.

lulu5kamz

Known around here
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, does every time someone turns that corner at night, do the headlights cause an alert? Or do you want to have your cameras make an alert every time a car comes by?

I just recently put up an outside camera for the first time and am slowly learning about zones and zone crossing . I’ve been able to set my zones so that I get far less headlight alarms but there are still a dozen or so alerts that get set off. I’m hesitant to reduce the zone crossing too much more because I would hate to miss a person creeping in my yard.
I don't use alerts. I usually keep an eye on the cameras by using an iPad Pro 12.9 and the Blue Iris mobile app.