Case about connecting 8 IP Cams thru a POE Switch

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I have an installation case that i need to solve,

1. i need to install 8 IP Camera
2. We need to have two NVR on a separate room
3. first NVR will only show channel 1-4 and the second NVR will only show 1-8

my question is,

I want to use this scenario by using a separate POE switch that send the data to two NVR's. So all cameras will go into the switch (port 1-8) and port 9 will go to the first NVR and port 10 will go to the second NVR. The NVR that i want to use is HIKVISION NVR DS-7604NI-E1 that only has 1 LAN port.

I am kinda new in this IP CCTV. would that solution work ? I know i cant have only just 1 NVR because i need to separate the channel into 2 monitors.

Warm Regards,

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
should work just fine as long as the NVR's are on GigE ports.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Chrisimmanuel,

Welcome to the forum!

Is sounds like an objective of the system is that you have two monitors. One monitor for cams 1 to 4, the other monitor for cams 1-8.

I think there may be other solutions besides setting up two NVRs.

1) The NVR will support multiple users logging in and viewing live video. On a PC, surf in to the NVR user interface, and view live video. Select a 2x2 view mode, to display 4 cameras. On another PC, surf in, select a 3x3 view mode, and display cam 1 to 8.

2) Use Smart PSS on two PCs. one displays cam 1-4, the other displays 1-8

3) Connect a monitor to the NVR directly. Display cams 1-8. Use a PC to display cam 1-4 (either with browser of Smart PSS)

I have an old clamshell PC in my kitchen, and I use Smart PSS to view cams. It's convenient to see when people approach the house. And I have an old PC monitor connected directly to my NVR. And I use a laptop over WiFi to to browse into my NVR, when needed.

I am kinda new in this IP CCTV.
If so, then you might want to avoid setting up a dual NVR system right off the bat. There are simpler ways to achieve two seperate camera views....

Have fun!
Fastb

Reaction score
Chrisimmanuel,

Welcome to the forum!

Is sounds like an objective of the system is that you have two monitors. One monitor for cams 1 to 4, the other monitor for cams 1-8.

I think there may be other solutions besides setting up two NVRs.

1) The NVR will support multiple users logging in and viewing live video. On a PC, surf in to the NVR user interface, and view live video. Select a 2x2 view mode, to display 4 cameras. On another PC, surf in, select a 3x3 view mode, and display cam 1 to 8.

2) Use Smart PSS on two PCs. one displays cam 1-4, the other displays 1-8

3) Connect a monitor to the NVR directly. Display cams 1-8. Use a PC to display cam 1-4 (either with browser of Smart PSS)

I have an old clamshell PC in my kitchen, and I use Smart PSS to view cams. It's convenient to see when people approach the house. And I have an old PC monitor connected directly to my NVR. And I use a laptop over WiFi to to browse into my NVR, when needed.

If so, then you might want to avoid setting up a dual NVR system right off the bat. There are simpler ways to achieve two seperate camera views....

Have fun!
Fastb
Hi Fastb,

Thank you for your kind reply. Anyway wr dont have an extra pc hanging around so the cheapest solution would be using 2 NVR at the same time. And the nvr is on gigabit port.

My other question is, can i make those ip cam work without nvr? So the chain would be ipcams - poe switch - PC

Warm regards,
Hi Folks,

I have an installation case that i need to solve,

1. i need to install 8 IP Camera
2. We need to have two NVR on a separate room
3. first NVR will only show channel 1-4 and the second NVR will only show 1-8

my question is,

I want to use this scenario by using a separate POE switch that send the data to two NVR's. So all cameras will go into the switch (port 1-8) and port 9 will go to the first NVR and port 10 will go to the second NVR. The NVR that i want to use is HIKVISION NVR DS-7604NI-E1 that only has 1 LAN port.

I am kinda new in this IP CCTV. would that solution work ? I know i cant have only just 1 NVR because i need to separate the channel into 2 monitors.

Warm Regards,

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Interesting.
Anyway we don't have an extra pc hanging around so the cheapest solution would be using 2 NVR at the same time.
@chrisimmanuel,

A) Okay, you don't have an extra PC hanging around. Buying a used PC may be cheaper than buying a new NVR. Choice: $
B) I described a method where I have one NVR, and have 3 monitors that can display whatever combination of cam views I want at the moment (based on what I want to see, from a full screen view of a single cam or tiled screen with many cams). No additional PC required.
C) Major concern: Using one NVR may be much simpler than a two NVR situation, in terms of complexity, NVR configuration, network configuration (you still want to have a network for home use, not bogged down down by cam traffic. eg: Netflix, music, etc)
D) You could make a separate subnet, to isolate cam traffic from home network traffic, but both subnets will have to connect to your broadband connection to the internet, to do remote viewing from a phone, for example. You're "New to this ip cctv" thing, but maybe you're skilled in network architecture and can easily handle the network issues I mentioned. If so, Power to you!

My point was that you're at a fork in the road. There are multiple ways to proceed. Go in with "eyes wide open", and consider the options to achieve your objective of having two monitors, one with cam 1-4, and the 2nd with cam 1-8.

In my case, I've found that with one NVR, there are many subtle details, and troubleshooting, and experimentation, to get the system working the way I'd like it to operate. It had a learning curve. If I had 2 NVRs, I think life could have been doubly complicated. eg: defining alarms, recording schedules, email settings, configuring security, defining gateway ip, IVS, alerts, viewing recorded video, remote viewing, and not having two NVRs sideways with each other (and confusing cams), etc. And I'm probably missing a several more possible headaches.

A two camera NVR system isn't like a two VCR system that records different things simultaneously. An NVR is more complicated.

I don't mean to sound preachy, I really don't. This guidance is based one your comment:
I am kinda new in this IP CCTV.
This forum gives people guidance. People share their knowledge, and I've benefited in a huge way. I'm not quite a "newbie", but I'm not yet a toddler out of diapers. Take my comments in that context. People here have helped me when I faced a fork in the road.

Best wishes,
Fastb

Last edited: