Cat 5e or Cat 6 for POE cameras?

paaji

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi
I would like to know which cable works better? Cat 5e or Cat 6.
Do I need Cat 6 for IP cameras (POE) or cat 5e will be sufficient enough for less than 100 feet runs.

The cable I have is Cat 6 (1000FT Cat6 Bulk Bare Cable Copper Ethernet Cable UTP Stranded In-Wall Rated (CM) 550MHz 24AWG )

Do I need solid or this will be fine?

Please let me know.

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
cat 5e is sufficient but the price difference is negligible...stay away from CCA or copper clad aluminum garbage..
solid is preferred but you will be fine with stranded for 100f runs.

paaji

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for replying, I am running the above cable from attic to inside the wall. I hope the cat 6 is fine if not I can buy Cat 5e or Cat 6 as well. I am hoping in future I won't have any problems rather do correct first time. Thanks again.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
your cat6 is fine; its better than cat5e and if your buying a bulk reel for a DIY install your likely going to use the spool for far more than just IPCamera runs as wired ethernet ports throughout the house are very nice to have.. so I suggest everyone buy cat6 unless your doing a large or multiple installs where a spool of cat5e will go fast on just video surveillance needs.

h901

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Cat6 feel more robust than cat5e only problem it's harder to bend round corners but it shouldn't be an issue. I'd definitely go with cat6 over cat5e, the price difference is so little doesn't make sense not to

paaji

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for suggestions and valuable advice.
I ran the cables, I have question about connectors Pin outs for POE cameras. I checked the original cable that came with POE cameras. It looks like it is a straight cable does it matter how I crimp it as long as both side are same?
Cable that came has both ends same.
wh/or
or/wh
wh/gr
bl/wh
wh/bl
gr/wh
wh/br
br/wh

If I crimp in following color code will it matter as long as both ends are same?
wh/or
or/wh
wh/bl
bl/wh
wh/gr
gr/wh
wh/br
br/wh

I need to verify the above color is designed for POE cameras for identification but cable is still straight?
Thanks

logbuilder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The above diagram is the order I used. It is straight thru.

I've had not done RJ45 ends until recently. Between my dexterity and my eyesight (both substandard), when using standard RJ45 ends, I found it really hard to get good connections with any sort of reliability. I switched to EZ RJ45 ends and my success rate went up substantially as well as quicker. I didn't get the special tool - just a standard RJ45 crimper. The technique I found that worked the best for me is to push/pull everything in tight making sure the order is perfect. Double check. Then I use my flush cutters to cut the excess wire. Then slightly pull back the cable just a touch so that the cut ends go back into the connector maybe a 32nd of an inch. I found this allows the completed connectors to seat more fully into the receptacle. Crimp. I got a cheap tester off ebay that lets me know the connections are good.

Last edited:

h901

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Follow the order of T568-B as per the post above

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I ran the cables, I have question about connectors Pin outs for POE cameras. I checked the original cable that came with POE cameras. It looks like it is a straight cable does it matter how I crimp it as long as both side are same?
wh/or
or/wh
wh/gr
bl/wh
wh/bl
gr/wh
wh/br
br/wh

If I crimp in following color code will it matter as long as both ends are same?
wh/or
or/wh
wh/bl
bl/wh
wh/gr
gr/wh
wh/br
br/wh

I need to verify the above color is designed for POE cameras for identification but cable is still straight?
Thanks
The order DOES matter...you cannot simply match up the ends...this is to prevent crosstalk as nayr stated...you will have issues if you dont do this properly and at a certain length it will not work at all.

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi
I would like to know which cable works better? Cat 5e or Cat 6.
Do I need Cat 6 for IP cameras (POE) or cat 5e will be sufficient enough for less than 100 feet runs.

The cable I have is Cat 6 (1000FT Cat6 Bulk Bare Cable Copper Ethernet Cable UTP Stranded In-Wall Rated (CM) 550MHz 24AWG )

Do I need solid or this will be fine?
Thanks
Depending the length of your cable always check the AWG value, the smaller AWG the bigger is cable section, less Voltage drop more current can go through.

Also Cat 6 offer better noise resistance and better bandwidth whenever video streaming cameras are usually using only 100Mb sync but are you using one câble per camera but also if you have multiple cameras the place of your switch (distance between cameras->switch<->NVR/PC) can also be important.

Also you say you have PoE but is it "real" PoE or12V "injected PoE" connectors, with "real" PoE cameras can ask for higher voltage to lower current (less current require smaller cable section or can flow higher current thru same cable section).

With a 30 feets 24AWG section and 12V injected PoE you'll get approx 2.3V drop so the Voltage will reach your camera should be 9.6V, the internal regulator for such 12V "injected" cameras (something like a L7805) will work fine with that but you also have to take care about current usage on IR LED cameras that may increase current usage a lot.

Last edited:

Defender666

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
wh/or
or/wh
wh/gr
bl/wh
wh/bl
gr/wh
wh/br
br/wh

wh/or
or/wh
wh/bl
bl/wh
wh/gr
gr/wh
wh/br
br/wh

Thanks

You need to stick to the Colorcode / pairs

If you crimp wrong like you you will get massive failed packets because the twisted pair needs to be respected. Even on short 10m cables it results in big failure.

You can use A or B - Code like above.