Cat 6 cable issue....

Wetstuff

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Folks, I have an HIK cam and a HIK NVR. When I hook a 6' premade/factory cable to the between I get an image—no issues. I ran about 200'/60m of Cat6. It is the first cutting out of the box of 1,000'. I have a proper RJ45 crimper and am not color blind. I also use EZclips so I can see the colors come out the ends. Feeling quite pleased with myself, I plugged it in ...and 'no image'?!

The only major difference is the pre-made's spec is T568A ...and I did T568B (as I read it was the more up-to-date)

I do have one of those cheapo cable testers where there's a deadman on one end and a vertical row of flashing light on the sending unit. The info sheet is wholly inadequate... but, all 8 lights run the same sequences with both cables. There's is some little flashing light over the power button that flashes (also, same for both), but I don't understand what it's for—perhaps telling me it is sending a signal?

I'd sure appreciate some thoughts... I was so stoked to get this operating, 'till then.

Jim

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Using 568B vs. 568A makes no difference at all, as long as both ends of the cable are done the same way. The difference between the 2 specs is that two of the twisted pairs are swapped with respect to their connector pin assignments. One time I had the stripper a bit too tight and it ended up slicing one of the conductors while leaving its insulation intact, so I had a broken wire that passed visual inspection. The tester should catch such a problem, but how the cable is bent at the connector could change how it works. When I run out of logical ideas, I just cut the ends off and do it over.

Wetstuff

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Man... this a steep learning curve ...for this old fart.

TW... That's right—I read that once-upon-a-time. It's just when your B doesn't work and your A does, and 'once-upon-a-time' could have been yesterday, you rely on your eyes today. Noted. thanks.

D-B... Boy, have I!

See those fine little, red-handled nippers. Those S-O-B'es had me taking about 30-40mins per end. I tried every cut angle - spit on the wire - spoon-shaping the bundle to slide them into the clip - EVERYTHING I could imagine. The wires would simply stall and recoil or I would lose one as it backed up. S-O-B'es! See the blue ones; the very first time I used them, the wires slid thru in seconds. The little, red ones must make a crappy cut.

I still have my dilemma... the cable that is buried and runs thru the woods will read fine on the line checker—all eight lights in the green ..in proper sequence, but will not show a camera. You can see the box where I just grabbed the ends an mounted clips; when this was tested I have a camera ... I also have a camera with the short Blue cable. (The line checker also gives these 8-green-lights on these two.)

I may try new ends one-last-time (the 3rd set) on the buried cable.... if no-go, then I'll have to use the cable in the box and cross my fingers that there's not a gopher who's tormenting me.

I'll get back to you with the brand cable. Maybe you can guide me to quality+value. Thanks for the replies.

Jim

Daybreak

n3wb
Reaction score

RazorsEDGE

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
How about an up close picture of your cable ends from a couple different angles.

bguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's not 568A vs 568B. It's a 6ft cable vs a 200 ft cable.

The only time I use a cutter like you show is if I need to cut an RJ45 end off, since the end doesn't fit through the cutter on my crimpers. The cutter on my crimper is very sharp. When I make a cable, I first make a clean square cut with my crimpers on the whole cable. Then cut and remove the outer cover. Then I straighten the wires in the correct order, then I trim them square again with the crimpers. Then insert and crimp.

I have done work where the customer said they could see the computer on the other end of the cable, but trying to access the files gave an hour glass. 40 ft cable passed the wire map, but failed with high attenuation. It was probably a bad crimp, but I replaced the cable and it worked fine. Replacing the ends will probably fix the cable unless you are using garbage cable. That's why it was asked what cable you are using.

As a side note, slightly related. The Laview kit I got came with 4 x 100' cables that were copper clad aluminum (CCA). They also failed testing due to high attenuation. But out of curiosity I still used them to test the system and they worked.

Wetstuff

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Here's the cable I used. (says it is = CAT6A)

Sorry D-B, All my stuff is at home ...it's an Easy crimp I bought on the big AZ. I like the fact that I can confirm the color sequence by pulling 1-2" of wires out the end. I find it very hard (not being a pro) to use blind crimps. ..'maybe if I had a jeweler's magnifying lamp.

So, yesterday (Sunday) I pulled the original cable - thru the wall - across the crawlspace under the house - thru the 20' entry pipe into/out of the crawlspace - thru the woods - thru the pipe I buried under the driveway—attached to my surplus cable ....only to find out that my 'surplus' cable (that worked in static testing) was too short (!) to get thru the pipe under the driveway—it is about 100ft short to make the tree I want to mount it on. Oops!

So... this raises two questions: 1) Was the original cable (that passes the cable tester's test) too long to supply a decent signal? 2) As I need to splice another 100': is there a simple junction box that works outside .... and/or do I need some sort of booster.?

I do plan on re-doing the ends of the original, long cable and trying another static test like I did with this 'surplus' cable. I will also measure the lenght—I have one of those gizmos that measure boat cordage. It may be a few days, as I am a weekender. Cheers/thanks.

Jim

RobertM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Jim, quick question. If you mount the camera up the trunk of a tree... do you run the cable up the tree in some kind of camo-conduit so it's not as detectable? I plan on doing something similar and want the cable and the camera to be as undetectable as possible.

bguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It looks like that is decent cable, at least it's not CCA. It should have foot markers on it, typically every 2 feet.

Ethernet should work out to 330 feet. PoE should also be able to work at that distance if you have decent cable. 200 feet shouldn't be a problem with Cat6 cable. You can connect a computer to the cable and see if it passes data ok.

Personally, I wouldn't "splice" in extra cable. Run the right length as one run.

Wetstuff

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
BG... I don't remember seeing any markers, besides my attention is short—counting all those marks (if there) would exhaust/confuse me. I got my little cord measuring device—it's just that 'these' ends do not go thru the guides—'should still work... If I cannot get the single long cable to work on the bench, and there's no good splice, then I may have to buy a new box of cable.

RM... I did that with my first failed setup. They actually make sticky paper in Camo; that might be easier and reduces the chance of dusting the Iens. The picture was crap, but not because of my paint. It was one of those Chinese no-name packages and I am sure those fine little wires did not carry this distance well.

My cable goes thru the woods on the ground then once it crosses the drive, it goes about 20' up thru the trees. (you really have to look for the wire up there...) When I get this settled, I'll take more pics. I plan on simply using a flat brown paint on this new camera.

Jim

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a few cameras in trees. A couple of the trees have hollow trunks and the wire is totally concealed from the crawlspace to where it exits the tree trunk near the camera. Where that's not possible, I've used irrigation "funny pipe" up the tree trunk. It's black, pretty strong, and doesn't jump out a lot. It's good for short underground runs, too. For the cameras, I just paint them with black and brown. If you don't mount the camera on or near the trunk it does a lot of swaying in the wind.

bguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The foot markers are not just marks. It should say an actual foot measurement. If a mark and one end says 102 ft, and the other end says 312 ft then you have a 210 foot cable. You just find the marks near each end and do the math.

Wetstuff

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So ...my new cable extension seemed to work well—that is 'till it rained. I have Cat6 for 2/3s the length and then added an additional 1/3 by simply using a junction box (RJ45-to-RJ45). I taped up mightily with 3M but a massive corrosion took place quickly and I lost my image. I looked online but am not able to find a waterproof junction box. I was considering a simple solder spice for 8 wires like we did in the stone age ...does this make sense? ...corrosion should not be an issue, yes?

Jim

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So ...my new cable extension seemed to work well—that is 'till it rained. I have Cat6 for 2/3s the length and then added an additional 1/3 by simply using a junction box (RJ45-to-RJ45). I taped up mightily with 3M but a massive corrosion took place quickly and I lost my image. I looked online but am not able to find a waterproof junction box. I was considering a simple solder spice for 8 wires like we did in the stone age ...does this make sense? ...corrosion should not be an issue, yes?

Jim
you used the wrong tape...use coax seal...

bguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Wetstuff

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Oooops. I didn't look hard enough. Amazon had some WP RJ45 connectors. (I ordered a 5-pack but they're coming from Singapore, so I also order a single that will Prime here in two days.) I simply have to clip my current jack and attach new ones—I've gotten much better at that! Jim

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score