cat5 splitter

Reaction score
Would a cat5 splitter work to send the signal to my camera and also POE power to a aux IR light. The IR light is 4 watts, the camera is 6.5 watts with the built in IR light on (I would disable them so it would actually draw less power), my POE switch has 110 watts available, so I should have more than enough power for my 8 cameras and 8 aux IR lights (6.5+4= 10.5x8=84 watts) Only thing Im seeing that could be an issue is the aux IR light dc converter is has an output of 500mA and the POE splitter has an output of 1 amp.

I have not found a better alternative for powering the aux IR lights other than running a 110 circuit all the way around my attic to power the lights which sounds excessive and expensive.

Main cat5 POE line to this Cat5 splitter then one cat5 line to the camera that should still carry the POE poweras well as the network signal, the the other output from splitter to an active POE splitter that will give me a dc connection to my aux IR light. Will this work or is there a better way I haven't found?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You'd be better off powering the camera and illuminator off of a 802.3af splitter. Connecting 12V to both devices.

PoE Mode A & B use different wires for power so trying to do what you were suggesting could be trouble.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Would a cat5 splitter work to send the signal to my camera and also POE power to a aux IR light. The IR light is 4 watts, the camera is 6.5 watts with the built in IR light on (I would disable them so it would actually draw less power), my POE switch has 110 watts available, so I should have more than enough power for my 8 cameras and 8 aux IR lights (6.5+4= 10.5x8=84 watts) Only thing Im seeing that could be an issue is the aux IR light dc converter is has an output of 500mA and the POE splitter has an output of 1 amp.

I have not found a better alternative for powering the aux IR lights other than running a 110 circuit all the way around my attic to power the lights which sounds excessive and expensive.

Main cat5 POE line to this Cat5 splitter then one cat5 line to the camera that should still carry the POE poweras well as the network signal, the the other output from splitter to an active POE splitter that will give me a dc connection to my aux IR light. Will this work or is there a better way I haven't found?
Hi @thisbeJonas

Did you by any chance run an addition cat5e/6 cable to each location? ( i.e. N+1 )

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
You'd be better off powering the camera and illuminator off of a 802.3af splitter. Connecting 12V to both devices.

PoE Mode A & B use different wires for power so trying to do what you were suggesting could be trouble.
From what I have read, a POE splitter will not supply the 12 volts to the camera. It seperates the 12 volt and the network lines. So then I still need a 12 volt source to power the camera. The cat5 splitter just splits all signals going in into 2 outputs with all signals still attached. Then run one side of that splitter into a POE splitter which will then give me the 12 volt DC to go to the aux light, and 12 volt DC + network connection to go to the camera. Explain if I am wrong here please.

Hi @thisbeJonas

Did you by any chance run an addition cat5e/6 cable to each location? ( i.e. N+1 )
I did not. The cat5 cable runs are fairly simple to get to in my attic so at the time I did not see a need in doing so. However, the cost incured to run double lines, plus I would need another POE switch or someway to send 12 VDC down the secondary lines does not seem very cost effecient. As an alternative to that I could also just run another 110 AC line around the peremiter of my attic and plug in the aux IR lights to that. Neither of these options sound very cost effecient. As long is there is nothing wrong with using the cat5 splitters with the POE splitter placed near the cameras and where I will mount the IR lights. I have 8 cameras and it will cost aprox 10.00 for all the splitters per camera, so aprox 80.00 I should have everything I need versus 8 100ft runs of cable, and another 120.00 POE switch. Again, if I missing something here, please do explain as I am new to all this stuff.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I think tangent meant you would split the 12v to both the camera 12v input and the ir input.
There are also dual output splitters like this one 802.3af/at Split,48V PoE + 12VDC Out,15W
There are also 2 or 4 port poe switches that are powered by poe. So depending on your setup that might expand your options- there are a bunch of threads on them.
You can also crimp two plugs on a single cable, which effectively is what the first adapter in your post is doing (you just need to use the right pairs or it wont work well). This is not a proper solution.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Read: Power over Ethernet - Wikipedia
Cat-5e+ cable has 8 wires. 4 are used for 10/100mbps, but depending on if the PoE switch uses mode A or B the other 4 may be required for power. If you try to split the cable as you suggest the wires that are needed for power may be un-connected.

Yes, I was suggesting that you could connect the 12V output of the PoE splitter to both a camera and illuminator.

Reaction score
Read: Power over Ethernet - Wikipedia
Cat-5e+ cable has 8 wires. 4 are used for 10/100mbps, but depending on if the PoE switch uses mode A or B the other 4 may be required for power. If you try to split the cable as you suggest the wires that are needed for power may be un-connected.

Yes, I was suggesting that you could connect the 12V output of the PoE splitter to both a camera and illuminator.
I gotcha now, that does sound like a better idea, just need to figure what that type of connector is so that I can find a splitter for it. Sorry, Im a little slow on this stuff, as my avatar state, im a n3wb

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I did not. The cat5 cable runs are fairly simple to get to in my attic so at the time I did not see a need in doing so. However, the cost incured to run double lines, plus I would need another POE switch or someway to send 12 VDC down the secondary lines does not seem very cost effecient. As an alternative to that I could also just run another 110 AC line around the peremiter of my attic and plug in the aux IR lights to that. Neither of these options sound very cost effecient. As long is there is nothing wrong with using the cat5 splitters with the POE splitter placed near the cameras and where I will mount the IR lights. I have 8 cameras and it will cost aprox 10.00 for all the splitters per camera, so aprox 80.00 I should have everything I need versus 8 100ft runs of cable, and another 120.00 POE switch. Again, if I missing something here, please do explain as I am new to all this stuff.
The N+1 concept:

Pull an extra cat5e/6 line to each location when doing the cabling as often it can be significant work to run the line and in the future we typically find that we want to add another camera to a position, or if there is a failure test the line, or add an IR illuminator, or add another IoT device.

I like to use bulk cat6/5e for my runs, and typically the price for the extra cable run is not really that much.

Found decent cat6 from monoprice for <$100 per 1000 foot - so about 0.10c per foot... so if you're talking 8x 100 foot runs, that is $80 worth of cable + 8 more ports on the patch panel ( if you decide to even punch it down, you can just leave it on the side until you need it ).

I terminate everything on a patch panel, and only hook up what is active on a switch - so no need to over spend on switches.

To me the extra cost, of in this case $80 worth of cable is typically well worth it as I value my time more.