Cat5 vs Cat5e

rfree190

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,
I just purchased a new POE 8CH Amcrest system with 4mp bullets. While ordering, they said they were sending Cat 5e cables. But, now that I'm installing them, I see that they only sent Cat 5 cables. Is there a big difference in video quality on the lower quality cables? Should I wait on the install and have them send me the correct cables?

Thanks!
Rick

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All,
I just purchased a new POE 8CH Amcrest system with 4mp bullets. While ordering, they said they were sending Cat 5e cables. But, now that I'm installing them, I see that they only sent Cat 5 cables. Is there a big difference in video quality on the lower quality cables? Should I wait on the install and have them send me the correct cables?

Thanks!
Rick
Welcome Rick,

Check and see if the cables have CCA printed on them. IF they do I highly recommend NOT using them.

I prefer to use quality bulk cables with solid copper wires - as once I have done a good job with the cabling I can expect it to out last any of the NVRs and Cameras I use, and thus it will be easier to upgrade in the future.

Quality cat5e or cat6 will work fine for the security cameras at the distances most of us are using.

Remember the r-squared rule - and try to keep the cable run away from electrical wires and devices.

Remember to checkout the cliff notes - we should have some good info on cables there.
IPCamTalk WiKi | IP Cam Talk

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All,

Thanks!
Rick
HI Rick,

Take a picture of what is printed out on the cable and share it with us.

IF it is indeed cat5 - that is a major difference from cat5e specs. Not worth your time imho to even install that.

rfree190

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Mat.
There is actually nothing printed on the cable. The packaging it came in shows just Cat5. However, upon closer inspection, the SKU shows CAT5E. So, maybe it is in fact Cat 5e.

Attachments

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Mat.
There is actually nothing printed on the cable. The packaging it came in shows just Cat5. However, upon closer inspection, the SKU shows CAT5E. So, maybe it is in fact Cat 5e.
Hi rfree,

Nothing printed on the cable? Wow, that's concerning for longer cables.

I would go with quality bulk cat5e/6 cable - as the price isn't that much compared to the amount of time you'll spend pulling and setting up the cable. If you plan to live there awhile doing a good job on the cabling and camera placement will pay for itself when you upgrade the cameras/nvrs.

I expect most computer related equipment to last about 5 years before I want or need to replace it. ( many businesses would do 3 year replacement cycles on desktops.. )

Prinler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
1st thing you do before an install is mock up the setup on your bench/garage/dinner table. Connect it all up and test everything including cables. plug in the cat5 and see how it looks. If it works it works. Chances are you will be fine. The OCD of the more experienced guys who have spent hours installing and having stuff not working will tell you, just do it right the first time. Yes its more expensive but it will save you MAYBE in the long run.