Cat5e or Cat6 for IP Camera

mjerzy

n3wb
Reaction score
I would like your opinions on this cable question. I have a few IP cams (Hikvision DS-2CD2032-l) that I am installing. All runs will be under 100 feet and those cable runs will be 85% installed in a interior residential attic, the remaining 15% will be ran outside and above ground so I am looking at UV rated cable for the whole run if I can find some, I've mostly found underground burial cable. Should I use Cat 5e or Cat 6? I am looking at getting UTP or STP solid copper wire but my dilemma is should I use Cat 5e or Cat 6. If Cat 6 is the way to go I assume I also need Cat 6 plug ends as well?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
While cat5e will suffice, you might as well run cat6, the price difference is insignificant - cat 6 is generally a bit thicker... I wouldnt worry too much about uv effects on cable..there are lots of discussions about how uv affects cables however, i have several outdoor runs that must be 10 years old where i used quality cat5e with zero issues..
Whatever you do make sure the cable is not CCA or copper clad aluminum - often cable is advised as solid however they are referring to solid vs stranded cable but its still CCA. Read the fine print...

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with fenderman. Usually you do not have to worry about UV effects on the cable. If the cable will be run under an eave or kept shaded most of the time, any cable should be fine for a lot of years.

HOWEVER in situations where the cable will be exposed to lots and lots of direct sunlight, the cable jacket may form cracks, letting in moisture and eventually pieces of the jacket may fall off, leaving the inner wires exposed. I've seen this happen even to supposedly UV resistant cable that was fully exposed to mother nature.

If you want a great quality cable that has some amount of UV protection, look at Ubiquiti Toughcable. They sell two versions of this. Pro and Carrier. Both are cat5e and shielded, with ESD drain wires inside too. The more expensive version (carrier) has extra shielding and a crosstalk divider, making it similar to cat6. I have only ever used the carrier version. For best results, use them also with ToughCable connectors.

freezercam

n3wb
Reaction score
Do you use the toughcable connectors with ground wire (TC-GND ) or the tough cable connectors without the ground wire (TC-CON-100)?
https://www.ubnt.com/accessories/toughcable/

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I just use the simpler ones, purchased back when they came in a box of 50 and that box still hasn't run out. LOL. You can always use a different wire to connect to earth ground if desired, but I can see the appeal of using one that already has a ground wire attached to the RJ45.

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Someone want to explain why you should not choose CCA cable for others? So that they can be well informed before purchasing cable.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
CCA cable uses wires made of copper-clad aluminum. It is more brittle (more likely to break when flexed repeatedly or too sharply) and heats up more when carrying power. Pure copper wire is safer and more reliable.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Not usually. It is recommended if the cable will be run near electric power wiring, but otherwise it is typically unnecessary.

freezercam

n3wb
Reaction score
Is grounding the cable necessary? if so do you ground both ends? Not to familiar with the proper way to ground this cable.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
It is not necessary to ground the cable for most devices. Ubiquiti cameras and radio gear are a notable exception. They always recommend grounding to prevent Electrostatic discharge (ESD) from reaching the sensitive electronics and causing failures. In that case, the Ubiquiti PoE injectors actually provide the ground connection so all you have to do is plug the PoE injector into a properly installed wall outlet (which provides a ground connection) and use appropriate shielded cable.

Grounding both ends is typically not necessary either since the two ends of a proper shielded cable are already bonded to each other through the cable. It may not even be desirable to ground in more than one place because of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_loop_(electricity)

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I agree with Fenderman and BP2008. IMO the only down side for Cat6 cable is it's thicker (as BP mentioned) and more rigid so it's harder to pull, turn and twist.

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
the remaining 15% will be ran outside and above ground
Is there any reason why you cant pull the cable all the way to the camera internally? It helps if you get the right gear. Fibreglass cable rods are cheap, make life easier, and make it possible to pull cables to places with limited access. If you must go outside consider running the cable in conduit. It protects the cable from UV, mechanical forces, and provides a greater measure of protection from vandalism.

Dseg42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
do not use flat cable...the wire is thinner..
running your own cable allows smaller holes to be drilled .

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Dseg42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks - your right. The flat is only 32 AWG vs the 23 AWG on the spool.
Nice catch.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Check out Monoprice.com for purchasing Ethernet cable. I'm fairly certain they don't sell ANY cca.

Dseg42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does anyone run shielded cables?
I found shielded cables with 26 AWG vs UTP with 23 AWG.
Not sure if shielding worth it though.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Opt for 23awg over the skinnier 26awg.
Shielded is harder to terminate to the RJ45. Also, examine the devices the cable will be plugged into. Most receptacles aren't shielded, so the cable's shield won't be tied to ground, greatly reducing the effectiveness of the shield.
Lastly, shielded cable is rarely needed in residential installations