CAT6 - Shielded or unshielded

Tizeye

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
About to purchase IP camera NVR system and while they typically come with CAT5e, if running wire, may as well do CAT6. I need to upgrade my existing computer network runs anyway which I believe were the original CAT5. No problems with the existing 2 network line which are primarily data. In my research 'educated' on EMI which I never considered a decade ago...but I have a mother of an install with a potential EMI generator. Will replace the two existing computer runs and add four (or more) camera runs along the same path. From the bedroom wall it goes straight through to garage then up the garage wall (not in wall!) into attic. No conduit, just cable tacks to support but with more cables will use conduit for the run to the attic with this install. Placement is the issue as the lines up the garage are between the two (120 and 220) breaker boxes and of course enter the attic right where the main service line connects to each breaker.

Should I just do unshielded as planned and hope for the best? If I do shielded CAT6a or CAT7, then you have grounding issues where the metal terminals need to be grounded with either the NVR or IP camera (but not both creating a ground loop) creating the ground at their terminal. Essentially, the j-45 receiver on the NVR would have to be metal, not plastic. Has anyone had any experience with this?

DWW0311

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ideally, Cat6 will cross 110V AC perpendicular, but I think that you're probably overestimating the amount of interference that you can expect. You indicated that you intend to run conduit - EMT or PVC? I ask because if you feel that you just have to deal with the EMI, run it in EMT and ground the conduit run itself. It'll act as a de facto shield & leak path to ground for the trivial amount of EMI generated by the 110/220 runs.

Tizeye

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was thinking of PVC because it is so easy to work with. Conduit was for cosmetic purposes primarily vs the individual wires clipped to the wall. Looked at EMT at Home Depot today and it was so heavy for something that doesn't go all the way to the floor and given the location, not certain where would conveniently run the ground. In either case, at the attic, rather than run cable low across existing electrical at ceiling level, probably continue straight up and run high. I guess the best would be to run cable, and if a problem then partially disassemble and deal with the conduit. Would be a bear to fish the keystones through as the cables build up so probably have to re-punch a couple.

A couple of other options to avoid most of that concentration of electrical wiring would be to place the NVR 1) in a closet and run a 110 for power (probably off my ceiling fan circuit that I put in as it is copper and all original circuits are aluminum which has issues connecting to copper, or 2) place in family room built in display/storage which already has an AC outlet in the storage area. In either case would only have to run the one LAN wire from router to NVR past that concentration of electrical wires. Could even use shielded for that one run assuming the NVR has the capability to ground it as the rj45 outlets on the router are plastic.

DWW0311

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was thinking of PVC because it is so easy to work with. Conduit was for cosmetic purposes primarily vs the individual wires clipped to the wall. Looked at EMT at Home Depot today and it was so heavy for something that doesn't go all the way to the floor and given the location, not certain where would conveniently run the ground. In either case, at the attic, rather than run cable low across existing electrical at ceiling level, probably continue straight up and run high. I guess the best would be to run cable, and if a problem then partially disassemble and deal with the conduit. Would be a bear to fish the keystones through as the cables build up so probably have to re-punch a couple.

A couple of other options to avoid most of that concentration of electrical wiring would be to place the NVR 1) in a closet and run a 110 for power (probably off my ceiling fan circuit that I put in as it is copper and all original circuits are aluminum which has issues connecting to copper, or 2) place in family room built in display/storage which already has an AC outlet in the storage area. In either case would only have to run the one LAN wire from router to NVR past that concentration of electrical wires. Could even use shielded for that one run assuming the NVR has the capability to ground it as the rj45 outlets on the router are plastic.
I do this for a living, and - I'm being honest here - you are way overthinking this. The degree of EMI you could possibly expect to encounter is trivial. It's wasted money to no real beneficial end.

That having been said, if you're determined to do this:

simply terminate the shielded run into an outlet box near your device, ground that box and bond the shield within the cable to the box as well. There is no reason why you can't use a simple patch cord for the last few feet of the run from the box to the device.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I do this for a living, and - I'm being honest here - you are way overthinking this. The degree of EMI you could possibly expect to encounter is trivial. It's wasted money to no real beneficial end.
^ This. Doing commercial installs you run across a ton more potential issues like that from huge banks of buzzing fluorescent lights that you have to run right above for full floors, to all kinds of leaky and high-powered radio sources, to big-ass generators, commercial machinery, medical equipment, and other sources right next to your termination run, etc., etc. Very rarely is it ever really a problem. You don't want to be zip-tying your network wiring right along with your power runs obviously just as a matter of good practice but don't knock yourself out trying to avoid coming anywhere near power for just a short run.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IMHO, you are in Florida, the lightning capital of the world, I'd use the shielded because of that aspect. it's not that much more money.
You can get pulse surges from lightning from miles away. Of course it won't stop a direct hit, but as Nayr would say, ground everything.